Chapter 23

As predicted, I am the topic of conversation at school all day Monday and into Tuesday. People who I have never even seen at school have approached me and asked me questions about Asher. Some of them I can't even repeat when he asks me about it.

By the end of the week, I'm back to just being another senior thankfully. The tabloid headlines have blown over to some other entertainment scandal, but the thought that those pictures from my prom are out there forever sits a little uneasy with me.

Filming has finally wrapped on season two of Southside and Asher will be traveling with the cast for the next two weeks doing all the various morning, daytime and nighttime shows to promote the end of the first season airing. It's still weird seeing Asher on tv, both on the show and being interviewed.

He's asked about the prom in most of the interviews. Who am I? Why was he there? Etc., etc.

He appears so laid back about the whole things and politely says he was at his girlfriend's prom, we've been together for two year and we are madly in love. They all ask for my name and he says he's protecting my privacy, but it's only a matter of time before someone at my school calls these places and tries to sell them anything they might know about me. The thought makes me feel like a swallowed a rock.

I try to enjoy the last few weeks of school before graduation, but the magazine headlines and gossip websites make it hard. Asher is finally back in town and we spend a few evenings together sneaking around to avoid his ever-growing fan base. There's a huge press event following the airing of the final episode of the first season, but it's the same night that I fly to Europe, so I'm going to miss most of it. Per usual, my parents have no idea what's happening in my life so have no regard to my schedule and only think of their own.

Before I know it, the last weeks of school have passed and its graduation day. It's definitely a momentous occasion, given how much has happened in the last two years. Shockingly, my parents are here, although we are leaving for Europe tomorrow, so it was the least they could do to come one day early and watch their only child graduate from high school.

Gogo arranges to have a catered lunch so Asher can join us and not be bombarded by fans and photographers. It seems to be getting worse by the day. The plan is for me to ride to the school with Gogo and my parents and Oliver will bring Asher after the ceremony has already started. We figure this is the only way he may get in unnoticed. Fingers crossed. Graduation is on a Wednesday evening, so hopefully photographers aren't expecting Asher to be anywhere on a random Wednesday, but you never know.

When I come out of my room after lunch in my cap and gown, Gogo tears up and Asher hoops and hollers. My parents aren't quite sure what to make of all the antics.

"Kinsley dear," Gogo says, "I'm so proud of you. You've grown into such a beautiful, mature young woman. I'm going to miss you while you're on your European adventures, but you will always have a home to come back to here with me. I can't wait to see what the future holds for you." I lean in to give Gogo a big hug and try not to cry after hearing her dote on me.

"Yes, Kinsley, we agree with Gogo, we're very proud of you," my dad says in the most matter of fact tone. It's hard not to roll my eyes seeing as they've been absent the last two years of my life.

"Kins," Asher starts, smiling at me, "you are amazing, remarkable, strong, resilient, beautiful. I'm so lucky that you're mine. I'm so proud of you. I can't wait to experience college with you. There's no one else I'd want on this journey with me. I love you."

He hands me a wrapped package and tells me, "It's just a little something, no big deal."

I open a beautiful leather journal with my initials, KRD in the corner. I look up at Asher who is running his fingers through his hair.