Chapter 15

Our two weeks apart feels like an eternity, but we survive. Asher definitely has a better time then I do hanging out with his family and high school friends. We FaceTime every day which makes things a little more bearable. My parents are busy working, so I spend a lot of time alone reading and watching tv at home. I visit a few friends from my old school, but mostly I just can't wait to get back to Jacksonville.

When we're both back in town, we reunite for dinner at Giada's and it feels so good to be with Asher again. I guess what they say is true that absence makes the heart grow fonder. We spend the entire dinner constantly touching each other or holding hands.

We pick a date for our trip to St. Augustine after review his filming schedule. Turns out we'll be able to go the day after my 17th birthday. I already have butterflies just thinking about it.

The day of our trip arrives and after Gogo has given me her hundredth lecture, we head south. It's a beautiful January day and we spend the hour-long drive holding hands and talking about everything and nothing at all. Glancing at Asher while he's driving makes my heart skip a beat. He's dressed in his typical ripped jeans, t-shirt and flip flops with sunglasses and he couldn't be more handsome. I don't know how I got so lucky.

We spend the day walking around downtown St. Augustine, visiting historical sites and strolling down the pedestrian only street that's filled with boutiques and restaurants. After an early dinner at a restaurant overlooking the water, we head back to our hotel.

I pull my pajamas out of my bag and head into the bathroom to change and brush my teeth. Asher strips his shirt off and says he's going to find a movie for us to watch.

I change into my pjs, a matching cami and sleep shorts, and brush my teeth. After, I stand in front of the mirror, for what feels like an eternity, trying to get my heartbeat under control. Before Asher has to come looking for me, I step out into the room.

The lights are all turned off, except one by the door, the curtains are closed and the tv is on with the volume turned down low. Asher is laying on the bed, shirtless in pajama pants and he looks like a model with his endless ab muscles and defined arms. I stand there staring at him and he pats the spot on the bed next to him. He watches me as I crawl onto the bed and I swear, he can hear my heart racing.

"Kins," he murmurs as he pulls me close to him.

"Mmmm."

"Thank you for today, it was so much fun. Oh, I almost forgot your birthday present," he says as he hops out of the bed to rummage through his bag. He pulls out a little box and an envelope and hands the box to me.

We sit cross legged on the bed facing each other and I pull the ribbon off the box. I flip the top on it and nestled into the box is a ring. I look up at Asher not knowing what to say or what this means.

"Take it out," he says as he takes the box from my hand.

As he hands it back to me, I see that the whole band is made of up of interlocking, delicate little silver stars and diamonds.

"Asher, it's so beautiful, I'll never take it off," I vow as he slips it on my right ring finger like a promise.

"Here, open this now," he says as he hands me the envelope. I open it and pull out a certificate of sorts. I look up at him, a little confused. "I bought you a star. It's part of the constellation Capricornus, you know, for your zodiac sign. And because I'll love you until the stars fade from the sky." He leans over and kisses me.

"You bought me a star?"

"I did. I know, it's kind of cheesy, but I love you so much Kins. You're everything that's important to me. And now, there's a symbol of our love, forever, in the sky." He says it with such love and reverence I feel overwhelmed by it all.

"You're amazing Ash. No has ever given me anything so thoughtful. Thank you!"

"I do love you Kins. Until forever, and I don't even know if forever will be long enough." And at this moment, I feel like Asher is my forever. I've never been in love before Asher, but I can't imagine ever loving anyone else.

We reach for each other and kiss like there's no tomorrow. Asher slowly lays us down on the bed and just holds me close as we kiss. Falling asleep in Asher's arms for the first time is heavenly and we sleep all wrapped up in each other. I've never been so happy.

In the morning, we have to pry ourselves out of the bed before housekeeping comes to kick us out. We stop at a diner outside of town for breakfast as we head home. And as Asher drives us home, I admire the ring sparkling on my finger and have to agree with him, I don't know if forever together will be long enough either.