SEVEN

"Wha-? I don't think I heard you right, Sir." Adeelah panned, shaking her head on reflex.

The older man, Malam Hassan sitting by the other side of the table, swiveled on his chair and made a cackle. He turned his hand into a fist before he placed it on the table before Adeelah.

"You heard me right Miss Adeelah, you're never going to pass this course as long as I am the one taking it. See to it darling, you have an option." He babbled his eyebrow lifted up, and went down at the same second.

Adeelah's hand went sweaty, she suddenly started wishing she let Fatimah escort her. It's so unwise of her to go alone. Now the man was looking like a lion ready to devour her.

"I- am-sorry." She replied instead of asking what was the escape route. For the first time, she was saying sorry on her own accord. She couldn't imagine failing the course, Abba would skin her with his mouth, Hafsatu's sarcastic words would peel off her flesh and Haneey? She would mock her.

He raised his brow again, looking straight into Adeelah's eyes. "You're already in the trap Miss." Adeelah looked down and thought of something. Maybe she should record everything and play it to Abba.

She felt some relief overlapping her fears. She sneakily fished out her phone from her purse and tap on the record button. She then faced the man with new and more confident look.

Malam Hassan noticed the change of her facial expressions to more intimidating ones, he swallowed a lump of wickedness and stood up.

"You still have a choice, fail or pass." He threw his hand in the air.

Adeelah smirked and put back her phone making sure it's still recording.

"I want to pass," she said with a pathetic voice, pouting her lips which she didn't even know how she did it all the time.

He smiled and spanned down.

"You can meet me at the hotel behind the school anytime you're ready. You're welcome Adeelah." He licked his lower lip and interchanged his look with a very nice and deceptive one.

"What—are we going to do?"

He grimaced although he's very happy that the girl didn't know anything. He didn't like how she asked questions too much though. Because those questions were going to make his chance slide.

"We will see when we meet. You can go." He opened the door for her. Adeelah sprang out heaving and muttering some duas. She didn't even know she had been sweating heavily despite the air con in the office. She removed her phone from her bag and checked the record. She saved it and beamed.

__________

For the second time in years, El-Mustapha stood before his mother in her Abuja residence. He made sure her husband wasn't around before he came. And it was all because of Maya. He wanted a bright future for his half-sister but things were getting worst on the media. There's post about her every single day. Several people were bad mouthing her and calling her the bad one among the Kabos'.

It pained him to bones to hear all those coming from people who knew nothing about her. She's a good girl, and her mother gave her the best upbringing.

"It's Maya." He croaked, removing his Louis Vuitton shoe and sitting on his mother's Ottoman.

His mother narrowly looked at him and went to her kitchen. After a while she came back with a mug of coffee and placed it before him. He looked at her with his eyes and took it. His mother knew what it meant. He's thankful but he won't say it. With no word exchange, she marched forth and patted his hair adorably.