Thirty seven

Muhammad M. Popularly called Sir Muhammad M. by his colleagues when he was in the office before he resigned was a household name in the year 2010. He had worked on a very deadly case that year; risking his life to befriend a notorious armed robber until he caught him unarmed and handed him over to the police His name trended on newspapers and tv stations but his face remained unveil. Even the notorious armed robber didn't get to know his original face. He wore a disguise throughout the operation . Since then everyone respects his name though it's only a name but not his face, a few years later it was heard that he resigned. Rumours had it that people were after his life that's why he resigned. It was true to some extent but he knew better.

He looked at the mirror before him and smiled bitterly. Shaking his head continuously as if it would help him discard all the thoughts in his head. He just got himself married few hours ago in Kano state. Now, he's in his room at Abuja. How could he explain it to his Ammi? No she wasn't his mother. He knew it because when she picked him from the streets, he was seven. He could vividly remember asking his real birth mother why his father has been away for so long and the reply she gave him. That same reply was what landed him in this new family.

It's been twenty nine years ago and he could still picture everything. Their perfect home when they were living in the States before they came back home to Nigeria. He knew who his real father was. He knew who his mother was and he knew exactly where she lived. Just few hours ago, he had gone to the area and asked about her. He didn't want her to see his face leat she would recognize him. Now wasn't the right time. He had to finish all his investigations first. And yes, he knew Adeelah and everything about her. He married her for a reason. No, it's for her own benefit. She wouldn't understand nor will anyone understand but it's for her own benefit.

Muhammad sighed deeply before he walked out to meet Ammi in her parlor.

"Ammi," he said, sitting an inch away from her.

Ammi was twenty seven years old when she adopted Muhammad. She had been looking so young then, just like his real mother. Her skin was gleaming in the right tone. Her nearly flat nose was so fit for her round face and large eyes. She's beautiful in her own way but everyone could tell that Muhammad wasn't hers from a glance. Her husband had a long nose but he was really white while Muhammad was more of brown with a very pointy nose. He also had a dimple that dipped on one side of his cheek.

"Ammi I'm sorry I have to go to Kano for a month at least. Don't ask me why please please?" He sang like a kid. Ammi smiled.

"You're always traveling yet you couldn't find a wife Muhammad. Till when?"

He rubbed his head. "Very soon Ammi. Take care." He quickly rose to his feet and walked out before she lift her head to say another word.

He would get married soon. Adeelah was just going to be there but not as his wife. He didn't know how wrong what he's doing was, but it felt right to him.

****

Adeelah stared at Abba like he had grown additional head. She wanted to scream but something stuck in her throat. Was she a toy? Was she tyre? Was she a dice? Why would Abba roll her life this way?

How was he even able to smile at her? Just because it's someone with a name everyone knew and praised him, was it necessary that he's a good man for real? What's wrong with her Abba?

Adeelah blinked twice and licked her lower lip.

"I want to believe that you didn't give me out for charity Abba." She managed to say.

Abba removed his cap and looked at her. He gently touched her hand with a remorseful look. "Baby Adeelah accept this marriage as if you're doing a favor to me please. Save me from the shame."

Adeelah lost her speech. She had never seen her father act this way. Was what she heard real? Was what Ammar told her real? What's really happening to her family? She had so many questions in her head but she didn't want to have an answer to any of them. It felt like it would destroy her.

Instead of anything, she nodded and rose to her feet. Till her exit, Abba didn't say a word.

She met her aunties along the hallways and smiled at them. Fake smiles. When she reached the door of her room, she entered sluggishly and banged the door hard. Luckily no one was in. Just that minute, she heard her phone buzzing from her bed. She quickly rushed to it and picked it. It was a message from a stranger so she quickly viewed it.

Assalam Alaikum Adeelah. I hope this meets you in good health. In case I can't reach you again, it's Ameer and i wrote this text to tell you that I'm under pressure hence this circumstance. I am sorry, all explanations will come later when things are steady a bit. I found out who my real parents are. I, Ammar and all of you are siblings. It's a long story. And the saddest for my part. Please don't be mad at anyone. Adeelah I'm sorry but things have to be this way. My real mother is dead too..." Adeelah stopped reading the message and rushed out of the room straight to Abba's. She didn't care about all her aunts or the guests around asking what overcame her. When she reached Abba's room, she locked the door and waited for him to appear out.

As soon as he came out of his rest room, Adeelah walked fast to him.

"Abba I have had enough. Who's Ameer? Who's Ammar?"

Abba knew he can't escape it.

"It's a long story Adeelah. Beebo had been my friend since secondary school..."

Adeelah raised her hand. "I don't care about all those stories Abba. I don't what? Care! Just tell me. Am i your daughter too or...?" She used the tip of her thumb and forced her tears back.

Abba slapped his face and marched towards Adeelah.

"Adeelah..."

"No Abba forget it. I don't want to hear anything anymore. Forget Abba. I will be fine!" With that, she barged out of the parlor and left Abba dwell in regret and anguish.

Abba thought he had felt all the sadness in this world till when his phone rang. Seeing the person that called him made his heart skip a beat.

His hand was shaking when he picked the call.

"It's another time for sacrifice Dbt." The man roared into the phone. It's at that minute of terror, Abba lost his consciousnesses.