44

One, two.

It felt like saying one, two to Adeelah and she's done with school. She's finally finished that degree. Glory be to Allah. She hoped for a good result and a good job in the future.

Abba's visa came out at the right time and she was also tagging along. She, Hajiya Sadiya Ammar and one of her uncles were going to India. Hafsatu had been fuming for days but Abba demanded that she stayed at home and take care of the house till his safe return in sha Allah. Ya Nafeesah was back as a graduate too and she's staying at home.

Meanwhile, Adeelah had visited Sheikh Muhammad Salim. She could still remember her encounter with his wife.

"He calls me Selmah, some call me Matar Sheikh or Maman Huzaifah. You can call me Salmah too." Salmah had said to Adeelah after she had served her some fruits. Adeelah had smiled mumbled a thanks.

"Adeelah." She had told her, her own name. They had remained silent before Adeelah decided to speak because from the way Salmah was stealing glances of her, Adeelah knew Salmah didn't trust her. And she was just being patient and nice. Adeelah's quietness could make her lose it though.

Adeelah had cleared her voice. " I came to see Sheikh, as you see, my husband dropped me." Salmah had released a breath that she didn't know she had been holding. Adeelah almost chuckled. She had found it interesting and she had wondered when she would be so protective of her husband too.

"I came to ask for verses of breaking a sihr and lot more."

Salmah's eyes lit up. "We had been working on a book about it, coincidentally. Please make yourself at home Adeelah before he comes back. In nearly fifteen minutes in sha Allah."

Adeelah had sat as she watch Salmah leave the parlor. Ten minutes later, Salmah was back in a silky red gown. This time around, she had a makeup on her face. The red lipstick she smeared over her medium lips radiated her face. Adeelah was fascinated at how much Salmah cared about her husband.

"I am sure he will be in any moment from now." Adeelah smiled at her.

"Thank you for your warm reception." Adeelah had said. She could remember the way Sheikh had been looking at his wife even when he was explaining stuff to where. It was like he was so eager for Adeelah to leave. Adeelah had never seen a couple so in love with each other the way she had seen there. What shocked her was they had been married for more than fifteen years yet they seemed as if they would swallow each other out of love. In some way, she had learnt a thing or two before she left the house.

So when she came back, she followed the Sheikh's instructions and bought a lote leaves. She also requested for Zamzam water from a friend who had travelled. That's how she began. She told Abba all the prayers and everything, same to Ameer and aunt Beebo. So , to herself, she was strictly praying for Allah's protection. The midnights became almost like daylights for her as she used them to pray hard.

May the surgery be a success and may those people leave her Abba alone!

*******

Few weeks later they came back and Abba was back on his feet. Adeelah was very close to Abba ever since he woke up. With each movement, she asked whether somewhere hurt him. Ammar too, woke up hale and hearty, as if he wasn't under the knife. They were hoewver still on medication.

"Adeelah, it's enough. It's time to go back to your home, okay? Let's not take the advantage of his kindness." Adeelah only looked at Abba in agreement. She couldn't even believe her husband didn't complain even once. He used to call everyday to hear about her Abba's health.

She wondered what type of human he was or why he married her. She's tried to study him for the few minutes she had seen him but she couldn't get anything.