THIRTY

Hamamatu.

Shortened to Hama was a woman about fifty years old. She was short and fat. She was also dark in completion and had a big tribal mark on her face. She was said to be a native of Hadejia and moved to Kano because of marriage. She had nine children with her husband, Malam Talle mai awaki.

The bus before her was filled. Noise from different girls was heard. She peeked inside the car and saw a girl sitting with no one on her lap.

The girl was sitting lonely, dried tears on her cheeks. She was obviously sad and deranged.

Hama chuckled.

"You will get used to city life Larai. Just a week, you will be fine." She said while most of the girls threw looks at her. Some saw her as a ruthless woman who separated them from their families and friends. She was taking them to the city to work as maids in various houses.

Most of them were around age twelve, thirteen and at most fifteen. Some had started schooling but were but short. They needed to get many that would be used to buy furniture for them when their marriage arises.

Some looked happy and hyper to go to the city of Kano.

"Malam direba ayi haquri. Saura mutum biyu. Mister driver, be patient. Remaining two people." Hama said to the driver who she could see how he was fuming as if he wanted to beat. She had promised herself to leave with forty girls and she had counted thirty eight.

Remaining two...

She would get them somewhere. She began walking in the street of the village in Jigawa. She was walking when a woman stopped her.

"Hama manyan gari!" She praised. Hama rolled her eyes in pride and smiled. She was now a rich woman in their eyes and true, she had some major savings.

"Forget that Tabawa. I am looking for two more girls to leave."

Tabawa grinned. "I think I know two places where you will get them amma naji dumus a hannu na. Let me feel something on my hand." Hama hissed and removed two hundred naira from her purse.

She gave Tabawa.

"Malam Jauro's house. His brother's daughter is there. He's been complaining, I know he will gladly give you. Then Malam Bala's house. I am sure."

Hama didn't thank her. She was angry that she gave Tabawa two hundred naira. She wore if she went there and didn't get any girl, Tabawa must pay her back.

When she greeted upon Malam Jauro's house, his wife Sumaye yodelled.

"Thank God you came. I have been praying for your arrival. Jabbama Hama. Miyetti Allah! Welcome Hama. Thank God." She danced. She went in and told her husband.

Halimatu was sweeping and she was asked to stop. Right there she began crying but she was forced to leave with Hama. Her uncle's house wasn't a nice place to be in, but outside wasn't a certainty too. She cried all the way long to Kano. And there they were distributed to the house they would work. She was just thirteen.

****

The house she was taken to, was well furnished and beautiful to her eyes. She heard that the area was called Gashash road. She was introduced to the house lady named Dr Rafi'ah Kabeer. Her husband was also a doctor. Dr Ibrahim Aliyu. They had two kids.

Afreen and Muhammad.

Afreen was six and Muhammad was three.

Her work was to clean the house and take care of the kids. Someone would be there to cook and wash the plates. She was happy because there would be good food.