50

Adeelah's family was in shambles once again. Abba was missing! They had been calling him and the number was switched off. They had all seen when he drove out of the house and then suddenly they couldn't reach him.

When they called Adeelah to inform her, she had just finished praying Isha. As soon as she drop the phone, Muhammad came in, only to find her crying with all her strength. He had stood first, afraid of what she would tell him.

Did someone die?

He couldn't say. So, when he managed to tap Adeelah's shoulder, she collapsed into his body. As much as he didn't want to hold her, he held her and began to make soothing patterns on her back. He didn't even know what to tell her that would calm her down.

"Abba is missing."  She repeated the word that had became a mantra in the family in just few hours. His body went cold. He wondered how she must be feeling. So he hugged her tighter than ever.

"He will soon be found in sha Allah. Have you eaten?" He asked not demanding an answer. He gently moved with her head still against his body to the cushion. He allowed her sit before he went to the kitchen to bring plates.

He dished out the food he came in with. It was chips and liver sauce with yoghurt. He stood to get a tissue to clear her tears.

Muhammad felt deep pity for Adeelah. "He's safe in sha Allah. Just eat something okay?"

He forked the chips and shoved it towards her mouth. She reluctantly took it and let it unchewed in her mouth. Muhammad noticed such so he sighed.

"Please don't worry, swallow it okay? Or do you want me to sing for you?" He asked, his eyes glistening with something Adeelah had never seen. Perhaps joy?

She pinned her gaze to him. This man was so transparent yet opaque. Sometimes she felt like he's allowing her in, sometimes she felt him inching back.

"Singing?" She asked.

"Yes when my little brother didn't want to eat food i used to sing like..." then he paused. He can't believe he just said that out. How could he now tell her that he married her for that his little brother whom he wasn't even sure of? Adeelah would take him as a mad person then. What if El-Mustapha turned out not to be his brother? What would he do? Would marrying Adeelah be a vain act? He prayed ElMustapha was his biological brother.

He prayed his Mustafha would soon be back to him. And he prayed that his mother was alive too. Since the woman whom he thought was his mother turned out to be someone else. He prayed ElMustapha knew about their mother's whereabouts. His research had shown that the probability that she's alive was higher than her death in a fire accident.

Adeelah was left in suspense. She didn't know when she pouted her lips.

"Please nowww." The way she said it, affected him in a very bizarre way. He didn't like it at all. Those boundaries he set were threatening to disappear. He couldn't wait to travel so he didn't have to bear with all those.

Adeelah looked at him, so he smiled.

"Who's that little bunny? Who's that little bunny? Noah catch that little bunny! Noah take him away if he doesn't eat..." he continued to sing.

Adeelah didn't know when she laughed. "Childish enough. Who's Noah?" She asked.

He smiled, the picture of his parrot displaying in his mind.

"It's my parrot. I cried for days when it died." He sadly told her. That's why he didn't keep another pet. He's scared of how close it would get to his heart. Not even pet, he's scared of keeping people too. The people in his life didn't last long with him.