52

Adeelah stood unable to process what she just heard. But she couldn't go out without her husband's permission. A lot of women were fond of going out without permission thinking it was nothing whilst it was something grave as it's part of his rights upon her.

So, she decided to call him but surprisingly, the call didn't go through.

Adeelah sighed, she honestly didn't want to go out without his permission. So, she decided to message him. She told him something came up so she had to go out. Still unsatisfied, she sat down.

She viewed a number and stared at it for long. She couldn't remember the last time she spoke with Salisu. Now that Muhammad wasn't available, she felt like dropping a hint for him. Well, he must have stopped using the line since he had never call her since after their separation. Salisu must have moved on with life. Thinking of where to drop a clue without causing alarm, Adeelah decided to text Salisu's number. She would use her smartphone for the task and leave it at home. In case something grave happen, they would trace her phone and see that she went to rescue Abba. Satisfactorily, she dropped the message and at the same time put the phone on her dining table.

She draped a large veil on her head and went out of the house without even locking it. Just when she walked out, her phone notified that the message had been delivered. But she could never hear or know as she had walked out and stopped a rickshaw.

"Kano line." She stated and hopped in silently praying that Abba was fine.

******

I was laying on the bed, knitting thoughts when i heard my phone buzz. I sat up immediately and aimed for it, brimmed with surprise because i know this particular sim card is so dormant. Like, I'm just using the phone as a torch light and nothing more.

Shocked would have been the word to describe my situation but there are many other words which I can't even remember to use. I practically rubbed my eyes to make sure i was seeing a message from Dillaliya. After confirming that I wasn't dreaming nor hallucinating i decided to read the message.

In case this message gets delivered, just in case, i just walked out to meet someone at Kano line. It's just a hint anyway for anyone who cares if i get missing.

My blood thinned and i was numb for minutes. If Adeelah would write this way, it meant danger. So I quickly stood up and walked to my disguise room. I began to scavenge through a box to find a face i had once made as a trial for fun. I wore it and looked into the mirror. Although the nose looked cartoonishly big, i knew people would hardly know it's a disguise. I mean this was Nigeria and disguises weren't really common. So i wore it but i decided to change the color. Seeing that it would take me alot of my time, i forgot about it and sped out.

I have never told you that i started riding rickshaw as a business to avoid suspicion first but i started liking it that I couldn't stop. You know it's really fun to suit into who's not you.

Being a rickshaw driver had it's perks, advs and disadvs too. You would hear different stories from different people. Women gossiping and lamenting about their partners, men talking about other women, some people complaining about the economy, others insulting. All of that. You would meet people that would refuse to pay the fare, the ones that would claim to forget their wallets. And the worst of all you would meet the road yellow uniform men of Kano. Small mistake, they would fill your rickshaw and take you to their office and bill you.

I would beg, pretend to be miserable with tears anchoring down my cheeks, fake swearing that i left a pregnant wife at home with a sick mother. They would then cut the money and ask me to pay half.

If only they knew!

You see life is really an adventure. You would only get it better when you explore. So at the end of each day, i would give out the money to those little boys selling water on the streets and drive home. I liked this because it gives me an insight of life from another angle. Somedays after i retire to bed i would laugh and cry.

So as i dust off my rickshaw, my heart kept racing.

I dusted it faster than i could and hopped in. I drove out and i met my neighbor performing ablution, i stopped to greet him even though i was in a haste. You see it's part of Iman to respect your neighbour. Especially this man that's elderly, the one i intend to renovate his house when i become Elmustapha.

I was happy because at least i have linked his male kids with Uthman and they're all employed as production operators in my company but the problem from the look of it was they hardly feed their father. It's really pathetic how a father would spend his life to cater for his children selflessly only for them to grow up and abandon him like he was nothing to them. Youth nowadays are drunken with the excessive love of this world. Forgetting all religious and social values that had been instilled in them since they were young. The quran says one should show mercy to his old aged parents and pray for them. I would lecture them one day even though they thought I knew nothing.

"When are you getting me an in-law?" Malam Ado asked. I shyly looked down. But in my mind i was saying i already had a wife.

"Soon in sha Allah. Baba pray for me i will go out and seek for halal earnings." He prayed for me until i felt some mists in my eyes. This old man made me realized that once someone loses their father, they had lose everything that makes them solid.

I left, enshrouded with intense wishful feeling. Focused on the fact that my wife was out there and in danger, i sped to Kano line area and parked. I inspected each rickshaw that was parking too. Luck on my side, I spotted Adeelah about to pay off a rickshaw driver from a distance where there was less crowd. I drove there and looked around.

When i was sure neither Adeelah's nor people's eyes were on me, i blew a powder at her face and she immediately became weak. I acted like someone helping her in, and in no time i started driving faster. Towards the airport route.

"Uthman is my private jet ready for flight?" I asked.

Two hours later, we were already in the plane to France and damn! I forgot my Salisu face there in Nigeria.

What to do?

Should i let Adeelah see me in this cartoonish face or in El-Mustapha's face? Or i should rather just lock her in my apartment and make her think she was kidnapped by some unknown men?

I needed to think fast.

**

I'm about to sleep but i decided to see whether i could type something. Although it's short as my battery is low, i hope you like it.

If you don't see an update, it's either I am discouraged, busy with school or  sick. So please bear with me. I'm so eager to finish off this book too😅. Miss Miguel Anderson, the chapter is yours by the way.❤️