41

Adeelah was in her long hijab when the napep parked before a house. She heaved a sigh for the ninth time before she made a salam at the entrance. The house was just a plastered bungalow with a giant tree in front of it.

When she heard an answer from inside, she managed to look normal. She walked in, inspecting the house. It was very neat and tidier than she imagined. It belonged to a man-a gifted scholar, she had once heard advertising his service on the radio. She didn't know how she was able to memorise the described location, perhaps because she found his name to be funny.

A lady about Adeelah's age came out and welcomed Adeelah with a smile. She sprayed a mat for Adeelah and brought water for her.

"Malam yana nan kuwa?" The lady stared, she thought Adeelah couldn't understand Hausa but here's she was, asking if Malam was around.

The lady smiled.

"He's bathing."

Adeelah sat there in silence waiting for him to come. Even though the lady had tried to make Adeelah feel like her worries have come to an end, Adeelah was still edgy. What if the man wasn't as good as he claimed?

She discarded the thought and sat in silence, in suspense.

******

"We had been trying to reach people but we saw only three contacts in her phone. We called Hidaya and she's already on her way." A nurse explained to Ameer.

Ameer grew impatient. "I am Ameer, her son. Where is she?"

"Follow me." The nurse instructed and like a tail, Ameer followed her. She lead him to a room where Beebo was laying lifelessly.

Ameer rushed to see Beebo's burnt body but it was a terrible sight to behold. His world came crashing at the instant. Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi raji'un.

"She's dead." The moment the nurse blurt it out, she noticed something. Beebo's hand was trying to move. At first she thought she was hallucinating but it was real. Ameer, with eyes bored into Beebo's body noticed it too.

"She's alive!" He fired at the nurse. The nurse quickly rushed out to call the doctors on call as Ameer walked out to call Hidaya.

He managed to convince someone around who gave him his phone. The moment Hidaya picked the call, Ameer hushed in an almost unclear voice.

"Get my ATM card from the drawer!"

"Ameer?"

"Hidaya get that card and show your face in Triumph hospital. Within fifteen minutes!" He shouted. There's no time for explanations or whatsoever. This wasn't time for nostalgic conversations or so. He needed to save Beebo at all cost!

Beebo had nurtured him right from infancy. She's saved him from having the feeling of being an orphan. She managed to fulfill the wish of his dead mother. His real mother besought Beebo to take care of him in that letter. And Beebo even sent her own flesh, Ammar to a village just to give Ameer a beautiful life. Even that, was enough for him to forgive her. All she did was based on the whims of her heart and based on lack of adequate islamic knowledge. All she did wasn't in link with Ameer. She gave him a beautiful upbringing. Even though she had hurt him in many ways, with the will of Allah, she had kept him alive.

Wallah, he would use his last penny on her. He didn't care how angry Adeelah or Abba would be with him. Abba didn't even know about his existence due to his negligence. So even if Beebo's survival was a threat to Abba's life, Ameer Muhammad would try all he could to see her back on her feet.

Ameer kept pacing within the hospital till he lost the track of time. Like a dream, Hidaya appeared before him.

He went ahead to pay but the nurse said the hospital couldn't operate her. They issued a transfer immediately. Because Hidaya came in Ameer's car, they drove to the next big private hospital nearby.