The Grave

Jaxon

I woke up that morning feeling amazing, Ezmaya had slept through the night.

Sofia hadn't cried in her sleep for the first time since losing her mom,And I hadn't seen any of my victims ghosts.

It was a good day.

I went downstairs and made myself a coffee, Sofia had been sending me to AA meetings for my alcohol problem.

I have to admit it was going great.
I even met a friend there, His name was Paul Bogglin.
He was already 2 years sober and an inspiration, I wanted to be like him for Ezmaya.

I decided to text him to see how he was doing

Jaxon; You alright buddy hows it going?

Paul; really good pal, you?

Jaxon; great to be fair, first time in 2 weeks I haven't felt like having a whiskey for breakfast.

Paul; I'm really proud of you bro. well done.

Jaxon; thanks mate. wanna meet for a coffe?

Paul; sure pal, just leaving the kids with their mom will meet you at starbucks in an hour?

Jaxon; sounds like a plan.

Sofia and Ezmaya were still asleep after I had showered.
I gave Sofia a kiss on the forehead and then went to check Ezmaya giving her a kiss too.

I left a note on the counter

"I have gone for a coffee with an AA pal.
Shouldn't be too long but I've got therapy after, text me if you need me
Love you both
Jxx"

I left the note on the counter and drove to Starbucks.

When I arrived there it had been 50 minutes since Paul's texts.

He was already sat at a table with a coffee, I said hi to him and then went up to the counter to order myself a drink.

I couldn't help but notice he didnt look right.

Coffee in hand I sat down and straight away I could smell it.

The over powering smell of whiskey. The smell that made me crave it usually but I this day hadn't.

All I knew was he was not sober

"Mate what happened?" I asked him.

Paul looked like he was going to cry. "I caught my wife in bed with a woman didn't I."

What was it with women fucking women these days?

"For fucksake, I'm so sorry, wasn't a detective was she?" The words just slipped out.

Paul looked pissed off "Well she didn't have her clothes on so I couldn't tell you."

Why did I say that.. "Oh shit my bad, That was insensitive of me."

I wanted to know if it was Ryder.
She had a habit of taking other mens women, I wouldn't have put it past her.

Paul poured a shot of whiskey into his coffe and then offered me a shot. "You want some?"

I wasn't even slightly tempted. "Well considering we met at AA I'm gonna have to say no."

"Oh one shot wont hurt, Come on Jax" he coaxed me.

"Nah honestly I'm good.." It was getting hard to say no but I did it.

I hadn't seen any ghosts of my past lately.