Chapter 14 - Tension Rises

August 12, 2013
Columbus, Ohio

[Emmileigh]

I slept like a baby. Infact, I had fallen asleep before Donnie had even got back from the arena. I didn't feel him get into bed and I didn't even feel him when he left the bed. I wouldn't of known if he'd slept beside me or not, other than the fact his pillow was all folded up like he had had it since we'd been on the bus.

I climbed out the bed, slipping one of Donnie's hoodies over my head and checked the time.

11am. Shit.

I looked out the window to see we were already at the next arena.

The smell of coffee attacked my senses the moment I walked through into the sitting area. I expected to see Donnie and Elijah, but instead I was greeted by Lucie.

"Oh hi! Coffee?"

I gave her a look as I watched her offer me, and then pour herself coffee in MY bus. "I don't like coffee." I sat down and watched her with a frown.

"I came by to talk to you about when to look after the babies. Donnie said you were sleeping and that I could wait." She walked over to the couch beside me and sat down. "I hope you don't mind me being here."

I said nothing, and instead got up and grabbed myself a glass of juice.

"So, did you want me to have them today?"

I turned around. "No, it's fine."

"Oh, ok."

"I haven't seen them since yesterday. I miss them." I said softly, getting a nod in return.

"It's ok. I understand.. I mean.. oh, it doesn't matter.."

I looked over at Lucie as she sipped her coffee. "No, what were you going to say?"

"It's nothing. Just something Donnie said."

I eyed her before stepping forward. "What did he say?"

"I don't want to cause any trouble."

I sighed. "Just tell me."

Lucie put her coffee cup down and sighed. "Well, he said you would say that.. and not want me to look after them."

I blinked a few times before sighing. "I just haven't seen them since yesterday. You don't understand, you're not a parent."

I drank the rest of my juice before turning my back on Lucie to wash my glass out. I was cursing Donnie off in my mind for talking to Lucie about how I felt.

"I'm sorry.. I overstepped the mark. I should go.."

I heard Lucie stand up and turned around as she moved towards me, handing me her cup of coffee.

"Yea, you should."

Lucie looked at me stunned before leaving the bus.

I really can't believe I hired that bitch.

[/Emmileigh]

[Karsyn]

I really don't know what all the fuss is about. The twins were pretty awesome last night. I was up more than they were, going to the bathroom. Maybe Emmileigh is just stressed and Savannah senses that because she only fussed once and Nick got her to sleep then she was fine.

That makes me kind of happy. It makes me think that if we can handle two twins, then our baby is going to be a piece of cake. I really think we can handle our baby. I think that between Nick and I and Haley and the fact that the tour will be over when I have her, that everything will be okay.

"I don't know what all the fuss is about," Nick said as he held onto Logan, giving him a bottle. "They were great last night."

"I think they can sense how stressed she is and how tired she is," I said, holding Savannah as my cell phone started to ring. "Haley, hand me that."

"Aunt Jackie," Haley said, handing me the phone. I swiped the button, answering the phone after Haley handed it to me.

"Hey, what's up? You never call me," I said, sitting down on the edge of the bed. "Everything okay?"

"Well I have some news, but I doubt you'll care," Aunt Jackie said.

"Uh oh, what?" I asked as Nick took Savannah from me.

"Your father died..."

"What?"

"There as an obit in the newspaper today," Aunt Jackie said. "Charles McBride, he's dead."

"What do you want me to do about it?" I asked. "I'll buy a cake to celebrate later."

"Well I knew you wouldn't care about that, but it has you listed as his daughter, but still has you listed as McBride, not Carter and says Charlotte. I don't think he knew what you have been up to," she said as I sighed, looking at Nick. "And he has another daughter."

"No he doesn't.."

"Yes he does... her name is Amy and she lives in Philly," Aunt Jackie said as I saw Emmileigh walk through the bus, immediately taking Savannah from Nick. "Amy McBride."

"That's bullshit."

"The obituary should be online, honey, maybe you should go look at it," Aunt Jackie said as I saw Nick and Emmileigh looking back at me. "It certainly explains some things. Wish Julia was here to see it."

"I don't know if I want to," I said. "I mean, why should I? He's been dead to me since I was 10."

"Just go look and call me back when you do," my aunt said as I told her goodbye and looked up to see Nick and Emmileigh walking back with the twins and Haley following behind them.

"Why are you so pale? Vomit patrol?" Nick asked as I took Logan from him. "Then what?"

"Nothing," I said, looking at Emmileigh. "Sleep good?"

"Amazingly until Lucie showed up on the bus to babysit," she said, rubbing her fingers through Savannah's hair. "I just can't deal with it. I know I hired her, but maybe I made a mistake."

"Did you sign a contract?" Nick asked as Emmileigh nodded.

"I like Miss Lucie," Haley said. "She's easier to understand than Mama with math." I snorted and looked at Logan.

"Come on Haley," Emmileigh said, taking Logan from me. "You can come help me give the babies a bath, okay?"

"Okay," Haley said, following Emmileigh out of the bus, causing Nick to look at me.

"What?"

"My sperm donor died and apparently I have a sister," I said as Nick stared at me.

[/Karsyn]