Claude x reader

This one has a few spoilers about his backstory and post time skip events.
---

Claude leaned back in his chair with a sigh. Relentlessly working each and every day was incredibly exhausting. He sometimes wished he could be a child again. Children get all the free time in the world while adults always go from work to bed to work again.

He left his desk for a second of a break. Just being able to stop looking at those papers would help his mood plenty.

He left his room, travelling quietly down one of the many moonlit hallways of House Riegan. A glass of water from the kitchen would do his poor, parched throat some good.

On his quiet walk, something whizzed past his ear, landing on the floor a ways ahead of him. He stopped walking, turning around with an unsurprised expression after taking a moment to realize what had happened.

There in the light of the moon stood the infamous assassin (y/n). In Claude's opinion, she was quite terrible at her job.

She spun a throwing knife in her hand as she flashed him a lopsided grin. Her stance was all too casual for a skilled assassin. "How's it goin', Your Princeliness?"

"It's going." He placed his hands on the back of his head. "What about you? Here to kill me again?"

"Yup." (y/n) held the knife in a steady grip now. "Scared?"

"No, not really." He moved his hands to his hips with a slightly disappointed expression. "You're the worst assassin out there. It's been six years and I'm still alive and kicking."

"Yeah yeah." She slipped the knife into the holster on her thigh. "We'll get there when we get there. You know, teasing you used to be fun when you were a scared little kid, but now it's just boring. You're no fun anymore, Khalid."

He wasn't sure how she knew that name, and she'd never tell him. She probably knew plenty more about him, like his growing up outside of Fódlan. She also had no intention of calling him by his alias, so after a couple visits he gave up and let her do whatever she wanted. She'd probably just kill him if he didn't. Or maybe not. He couldn't really tell with this girl.

"Hey, I'm plenty of fun," he insisted. "Just last week I poisoned Lorenz's drink at the strategy meeting."

"Oooh, he didn't die, did he? I liked that one."

Over the course of the past five years, Claude assumed (y/n) found out so much about his friends by spying on them. She knew a lot about his many noble connections.

"Why would I kill one of my own allies?"

"I do suppose it doesn't make sense, even if he's trying to be your rival." She crossed her arms, tapping the fingers of one hand against the opposite arm. "What are you up to so late at night? Sneaking around doing something you shouldn't?"

"What, are you my mother now?" He rested his hands on the back of his head. "I've been up late doing all that boring work I've dedicated my life to. I'm running away for the sweet salvation of a glass of water."

"Well, why not let me join?" She trotted up to his side. "I don't have anything else to do."

"Gonna poison my water?"

She flashed a sly grin. "Maaaybe~"

He huffed in a sort of amused way, beginning the trip to the kitchen once again, now with (y/n) at his side.

Was he interested in (y/n), you may wonder? The answer is absolutely. She had plenty of secrets he wanted to know. But, she never let anything slip, and she's done a good job of covering her tracks for years. Claude even wondered if (y/n) was her real name. It would make sense for an assassin to use an alias. He'd asked about her name once or twice, but she effectively dodged the question every time. She did that no matter what the question was. She had a real talent for hiding. She'd make an excellent spy.