Dedue x reader

This happens during the month of the ball, but no really big spoilers.
---

You sighed as you stared across the dining hall at a few of the Blue Lions students enjoying a meal together. You weren't even paying attention to your own classmates anymore. You wanted to go over there and talk to them, one person in particular, but you knew you couldn't do it. You didn't want anyone thinking you were weird.

"Hey (y/n)~" One of your friends waved her hand in front of your eyes. "Are you even in there?"

"Sorry...." You closed your eyes for a moment, shifting your focus to her. "What were you saying, Hilda?"

"Well, I was telling Marianne and Claude about how much fun the ball is going to be, but now I'm interested in what's on your mind." She set her elbows against the table, supporting her head with her hands and smiling. "Are you still thinking about him?"

"..." You tried to hold back a little smile. "...maybe?"

She giggled a little at your reaction. "Oh (y/n)...so hopeless."

"Who is it?" your other friend, Marianne, wondered, drawing both yours and Hilda's gazes.

"(y/n)'s got the hots for Dimitri's bodyguard," Claude very helpfully informed her as he poked something on his plate with a fork. "She's totally head over heels."

"What was his name? Dedue?" Hilda arched her back in a stretch. "Honestly, he's kind of intimidating."

Your eyes traveled back to the man in question. "Not really...he's a very gentle person."

You'd not had many real interactions with Dedue, but you'd seen him around the monastery plenty of times. You knew how careful he was with the plants in the greenhouse, and he could make beautifully delicate meals effortlessly. Sure, he absolutely dominated the battlefield, but he wasn't snappy or mean, just defensive and quiet.

"Well? What are you waiting for?" Hilda's voice snapped you out of your thoughts.

You tilted your head at her. "What?"

She nudged your shoulder with her own. "You know what I mean~ You have to tell him at some point!"

"Oh, no...." You frowned and lowered your gaze. "I really don't...."

"No, (y/n), you definitely have to," your House Leader decided. "I have the perfect plan, too."

"No, no." You shook your head vigorously. "No schemes. Just drop it."

"Sorry, can't do that." His stupid smirk made you want to pour a glass of water on his head. "We can't have our dear precious (y/n) suffer this heartache any longer."

"Mhm!" Hilda agreed with a giggle. "Just let us handle this."

"I'm sure nothing bad will happen if you say something to him," Marianne put in.

"Marianne, not you too...." You didn't want all this encouragement. You wanted them to tell you to give up and get over it. You knew what Dedue was like; he wouldn't return your feelings. Confessing only to be rejected was super embarrassing, as you'd learned from previous experiences we don't speak of ever again.

"We're all in agreement, then." Unsurprisingly, Claude completely ignored your weak protests. "Listen up: here's the plan...."

He leaned in close like this was top secret information while he explained his idea. You absolutely hated it, but no one would listen if you denied it so what was the point. On the other hand, Hilda seemed far too interested, even putting in her own ideas to make it "better".