Chapter 25

Camilla POV

How long had she ignored this? How many nights had she spent running her fingers over Damian's scars and not done anything about it? It was Friday and Damian looked like he was in a bar fight. Carston had said that both Jason and Tim had bruised jaws but he was pretty sure that was Damian's fault.

Since her boyfriend had been suspended she hitched a ride with Milla who was trying to fish out whether Damian was mad at her since he undoubtedly knew about her relationship with Jason. But Cami couldn't tell her even if she wanted to, she didn't know.

She'd seen Damian after school when he picked her up and took her out for  coffee. He seemed abnormally distracted for once, it was almost hard to keep his attention. She reached across the table and took his hands , which were neatly intertwined in her own and gave them a light squeeze. He glanced up at her and she offered him a shy smile.

Her relationship with Damian was complicated. They skipped steps that normally wouldn't be skipped and had arguments about things normal couples didn't argue about. At first they had been a little shy, a little awkward. But the nights spent holding each other on the couch or him sneaking into her room at unholy hours to talk or have intense make out sessions quickly cured them of their shyness.

She even fell asleep in his arms once and her dad had nearly caught them. Despite Damian's sexual history with girls he never once tried to take things too far and even when it got a little heated he'd stop and go make coffee or something until they both cooled down.

He spent a lot of his time with her but more often than not he just disappeared and used the worst excuses. She had each of them memorized. 'Family problems, company problems, brother issues, business trips.'

There was the rare occasion when these were not lies and he really had to leave for specific reasons. But she was smart enough to know which was which. Normally when he did spend time with her all his focus was solely on her, but not today.

"What's wrong?" she asked worried. Maybe she would forever be destined to play the worried girlfriend, but she didn't care. For some odd reasons she had the feeling she was supposed to be more afraid for Damian's safety than she had been for Kyle's when they had been together. Worry was not uncommon for her of course. She'd spent many sleepless nights rolling around imagining her brothers hurt and caught in crossfire clad in army clothes.

His expression was guarded as it always was as reached one hand over, the other still keeping hers warm, and smoothed her hair out of her face. She was surprised. This was a abnormally romantic gesture from him. He paused and cupped her face, she leaned into his touch.

Camilla hadn't really expected him to answer her question, not truthfully at least, but his next words had her thoughts, which were always racing a million miles per second in his presence, to be still.

"I am bad for you," his eyes were like millions of shards of broken glass neatly swept together and colored a prefect emerald "You are aware of this?" he asked, his tone careful and his eyes halfway closed.

She wasn't exactly sure what to say seeing as she had no idea what to think. How was he bad for her? He got her grades up, her family loved him, he made calculated decisions in the worst of times even when she was unable to do so. Camilla Carlisle did not believe in perfect people and she wasn't about to start. Damian was broken in ways she'd never understand. He was selfish at times, egotistical and closed off, he shut people out of his thoughts and feelings faster than she could speak his name.

Damian was far from a perfect person. But he didn't have to be, because he was already the perfect person for the her.

Her brow scrunched up slightly as she studied him. She hated when he looked at her like that, she could never tell what he was thinking. Maybe that he could do better, or maybe that he wanted to kiss her. It was one of the negatives that came with having someone so... Damian.