52- Fireworks

It rained for quite a while the next day, but by sunset it had cleared up enough to go down to the beach and set off fireworks.  Everyone had been sort of on edge the rest of last night, but despite it all, Tohru and Momiji’s smiles shined extra brightly for all of us.  Of course, I had some things to smile about as well- Kissing Kyo was beyond what I could have imagined and I still got all fluttery when I thought about it.

  “It cleared up!”  Momiji exclaimed as we headed down the stairs to the beach.  He ran out onto the sand happily.  “It stopped raining!  We can do fireworks!”

  “Already?”  Yuki looked around at the sky.  “The sun hasn’t completely set yet-”

  “Of course!  No way I can wait until night!”  Momiji grinned at Tohru and the two exchanged eager smiles.

  “Hey-”  Hiro broke from my side and stood in between the two.  “Why are you both injured?”

  I let out a heavy sigh as Tohru tried to explain away the bandages cover a mighty portion of both of their faces.  “Hiro-”  I snapped when they were done.  “I seem to remember a little boy who was always getting injured, right?  I don’t think you have any right to ask those two when you get hurt all the time.”

  He rolled his eyes at me and stomped over to Kisa.  Kyo sidled up to me, holding one of the packages over his shoulder.  “C’mon, we’re setting off fireworks right?  Which one first?”  He said, breaking up the tension that could be felt amongst the group.  I silently thanked him in my head and turned to get Momiji’s answer.

  “Leave that to me!  I already decided which is first up!  Here we go!”  He held up an object that resembled a hockey puck and set it on the ground.  We all gathered around it as Haru lit it up.  After a moment of waiting, a long, snake like object emerged from the smoking firework, confusing us all.

  “Is this- fun?”  Kyo whispered in my ear.

  I shrugged, staring at the firework, waiting for it to do something more.  “I think so?”  I mumbled back as I fanned some smoke out of my face.

  “It was worth it!  It was worth seeing it once!”  Tohru shot up in front of me, making me stumbled back in shock.

  “Really?  It’s too smokey for me.”  Kyo coughed.

  “Have you guys seen snake fireworks before?!”  She asked, looking back at us.

  “Yeah, when I was a kid.”  Kyo nodded.  “Shisho bought  load of fireworks when I told him i’d never done them before.”

  I knelt down beside the others to look at the firework.  “I think I remember something like this, but I think I was a bit too afraid of it at the time to enjoy it.”

  “You set off fireworks before, Haven’t you?  With your mom?”

  “Oh yes!  It was fun!  Mom said she got excited when she saw fire or fights!”  Tohru giggled.

  “Aw man-”  I sighed.  “The more I learn the more I wish I’d been around to know her!”  I grabbed Tohru’s hand.  “You have to tell me all the stories sometime, got it!?”

  “Yes!”  She exclaimed.  “I will!”

  “But don’t get any funny ideas-”  Kyo butted in.  “Being in a gang might sound fun but-”

  “Yeah yeah, I got it Mom.”  I rolled my eyes.  “You don’t have to worry about me joining any gangs.  I’m fine right where I am, with you guys.”  I gave him a little wink.