Chapter Thirty Two

One Smile Please

Chapter Thirty Two:

*Charlie's POV*

I didn't have the energy to run far from him. That was why I was still sitting at his party. I hadn't gone in, I was outside sitting near some water fountain, which now and then was managing to spurt water at me. At least the water disguised my tears. I thought bitterly to myself. I wiped them away furiously. Why was I crying? Over him? The guy that could give two shits about me?! No, I'm not going to cry over him. No... I... I couldn't... But whilst saying this to myself I dissolved into another fit of sobs.

Why did everything hurt so much? It almost hurt as much as the day I lost... Tyler. Just the thought of him made me cry harder.

Out of nowhere a tissue appeared in front of me, making my sobbing immediately stop. I wiped my tears with my arm and then turned to see who it was. I was half expecting it to be Cameron. But it wasn't.

"Take it, I can't handle seeing pretty girls like you cry." the man said. He was old. Around Pete's age. He had some weird familiarity to him which I couldnt put my finger on.

I take the tissue and mutter a thanks.

"You shouldn't cry over him Charlotte. He's not worth your time, or tears." I furrow my eyebrows. I feel his hand creep up on my shoulder... I slightly inch away from him.

"How do you know my name? And how do you know who I'm crying over?" he seemed to have realised his mistake and tried correcting it but I got up and moved away from him.

"Look, just stay away from me." I feel as if he's about to reach out for me, so I turn and walk away as fast as possible and bump into someone. I pull back and see that it's Lexi.

"Lexi?"

"Oh... Charlie?" she slurs slightly. She was drunk. "I like your hair..." she starts playing with my hair. Very, very drunk. As much as I wanted to walk away from her, I couldn't. She had always been kind to me. No matter what. I didn't even care at that point on whether she was in on Cameron's plan or not.

"Come on... Let's get you some water." she suddenly pulls away from me.

"No! I don't want water! I want Cameron! Where is he? He was meant to propose to me again after the dance..." then her expression changes into one of distress and complete sadness. "You took him away na? I know I shouldn't have done this. I mean now everyone's hurting and it's all my fault. I'm hurting. Your hurting. Cameron's hurting. I love him and I should've just kept that suppressed. I shouldn't proposed that idea. It was stupid. So stupid. I shouldn't even have come back. I love him. But he doesn't love me..." she started crying like a little child. I stood there not knowing what to do. I couldn't console people. I tried patting her, but that didn't work. Then I realised what Lexi was saying. Did Cameron use her too? Anger riled through me. How low could he go?! He used his best friend.

"He loves you..." Everything around us silenced. The background noise faded away as I acknowledged what she said. "I knew that. But I still went along with it. Hell, I suggested it. I don't know why??"

"Hey, hey... Lexi. He's not worth it..."

"But he is. He's one of the nicest guys out there. You'd say that because you think he's the bad guy... You don't know what he's done for you Charlie. He loves you so fucking much." she looked angry now. "Why can't you see it?! Are you that stupid?!" I shook my head... What lies had he been telling her? He was so sick in the head.

"Really Lexi?! What has he done for me then?! Tell me... I'd like to know what this monster has done for me." I reply with equal amounts of anger.