Chapter 5 - First Battle (Battle of Trost District, part 1)

Your P.O.V.

I saw a large arm swing over the top of the wall where Eren had run to, destroying the cannons.

He went for the cannons! I thought. And that hole definitely wasn't an accident. This thing is intelligent.

Another round of steam came from the top of the wall, and the Colossal Titan was gone.

I used my gear to launch to the top of the wall. "Eren, did you get it?!" I yelled down to the boy.

"No! It's just like five years ago! He suddenly appeared, and then disappeared!" And with that, Eren landed next to me at the top of the wall.

"I...I'm sorry. I let him get away." He apologized while looking down on me. Why did he have to be so damn tall?

"Eren, it isn't your fault." I said, straightening my stance so he wasn't looking down on me as much.

Eventually, a man came and told us to return to HQ. bells were chiming, and I could see people fleeing to the other gate leading out of Trost.

Cannons were being fired from the other side of the wall as the Garrison's tried to take out the titans approaching the hole.

--20 minute timeskip--

We were back at HQ reloading our gas tanks for the impending battle.

"Are you okay, Armin?" I asked worriedly as he tried to refill his tanks. "I-i'm fine! I'll calm down soon enough....still, this is bad! We don't have the technology to quickly seal an 8 meter high hole!"

"Armin! Calm down! This isn't like last time!" Eren screamed while grabbing the blonde boy's wrist.

"As practiced, you will now split into your squads and perform resupply, message relay, and titan-clearing duties under the command of the Garrison Regiment! The Garrison intercept squad will take the vanguard! The cadets will take the middle guard! And the Garrison's elite squads will take the rearguard!

Additionally, I've received word that the advance team has been wiped out! The outer gate has been breached, and the titans have been allowed inside! In other words, the armored titan could very well appear again, and demolish the inner gate at any time!" The Garrison officer yelled.

Memories from five years ago started to come back all at once, and I felt scared and vulnerable.

"This....this isn't happening...." I whispered as tears started to well in my eyes.

"Be prepared to lay down your lives!!!" The man continued to yell. "Dismissed!!!".

"Sir!" Everyone saluted.

People started to clear out of the square, and as I was walking away, I noticed Eren and Jean getting into yet another fight.

I was going to break it up, but Mikasa was watching from a safe distance, and Eren looked like he had this one.

--oh, the timeskips....--

I was in the same squad as Eren, Armin, Thomas, Mina, and two others that I didn't know the names of. We were currently standing on the roof of one of the buildings.

"Hey, Armin. This is the perfect chance, don't you think?" Eren questioned. "If we take care of business in this first battle before we've even joined the Scouts, we rookies will shoot up the ranks for sure!"