22

Hours go by as I laid on the couch staring at reruns of an old TV show whilst Derek sat across from me texting who I could only assume to be his girlfriend. He slowly rubs the mark on his face and I shook my head as I remembered our fight from before. I'm sure my face was just as bruised and I wanted to punch him for starting that fight unprovoked.

Slipping his phone into his pocket, Derek pulls something from a small can before offering it to me.

"Want one?"

I stared up at Derek from my position and shook my head in disappointment as he shows me the weed in his hand.

"I thought you quit."

"Tried. Life is too messed up without it."

"What do you have to complain about? You have Bri, your twin, your mom. Hell, you even got Chris and his friends. What more do you need?"

"Just because I am surrounded by a sea of people doesn't mean my life isn't hell."

"Well that's called reality."

"Reality sucks."

I shake my head once more and slipped one hand beneath my head as the other lazily massaged my chest. "I don't do that anymore."

"Tonight can be the exception."

"Maybe next time."

"Hmm."

"What?"

"Nothing." He says and I roll my eyes as I stared at him expectantly.

"I see that Levi is getting his wish."

"Humph. Who would have thought it would have taken the end of my relationship to accomplish that?"

"Its called maturing or like my idiot father used to say 'becoming a man'."

"Are we listening to him now?"

Derek chuckles before blowing the smoke upwards.

"I had to pick up some cash for mom and ran into the chick he replaced her with."

"Mmhmm?"

"You don't even have to ask how that went."

"Yeah. Its tough man, I know."

"So, what are you doing for your birthday?" He suddenly asks, in an attempt to change the subject.

"Sleep."

"Oh come on, that's way too boring. Let's throw a party."

"Not in the party mood."

"Well no shit sherlock. Today's not the day."

"Won't be in the mood then either."

"Well you can leave when the mood comes over you but come on man, let's have the party."

I sighed loudly before covering my eyes with my right arm. "Let it go Eric."

"Do you wanna-"

His words are cut short by the ringing of the doorbell and I exchanged a confused look with him as the time showed it was just after midnight.

When that was changed to banging I shook my head before getting up, yelling that I'd be there so that the person could stop with their annoying banging.

Pulling the door open, I stood frozen, my expression quickly changing from curious to confused when I saw Chris standing on the other side dressed in a black pair of slacks and matching hoodie, hands shoved deep in his pockets.