20

I'm sorry.

S. Mindy.

~~~

There's a small opening in his blinds that allows the light of the fast setting sun to come tumbling in and I smiled as the dark room now had streaks towards the far corner.

Chris is in the connecting room talking to what sounds like his mom and as I stared at the ceiling, I felt at peace. The temperature had dropped at some point during the afternoon and as I played with the thin sheet that draped across my naked frame, I couldn't stop myself from thinking back on the activities of the bedroom.

I could faintly hear Chris trying to calm his mom and I chuckled at the thought of her fussing about the shootout that was sure to be the highlight of the news.

Getting up, I grabbed my boxers and jeans and slipped them on before once more sitting on the bed. Besides our discarded clothing strung across the room, it was kept pretty neat except for the mountains of paper on his desk and I remembered how nothing had changed since we lived together.

I was curious to know what occupied his mind these days and as I called Mrs. McPherson, I let my fingers roam free.

"Why am I now hearing from you young man? Do you know how many times I have called-"

"Hello to you too mom."

"Don't you hello me! I was worried sick about you."

"I'm fine, honestly."

"So why didn't you pick up?"

"I needed to be there for Chris... didn't the twins talk to you?"

"I don't wanna hear from them how you're doing. I wanna hear from you. You're as much a part of this family as they are."

"I'm sorry. It won't happen again."

"It better not."

I shook my head at her worrisome tone before my fingers paused above an envelope. The long, white paper was torn clean down the side and I pulled the few pages as my mind tuned out the words Mrs. McPherson was saying.

I knew that I was snooping and that I had no right to, especially since I tripped balls whenever a girl or any other human being searched through my stuff, but the bright, black letters just seemed to jump out at me.

Unable to stop myself, I let my eyes slowly travel across the words that were as clear as day to see and my heart continuously raced as my mind digested the meaning behind them.

As soon as I met the last and final fullstop, Chris is walking out the bathroom with a tired look on his face before he freezes at my expression. I also wasn't aware when my call had ended and as I slipped the phone into my pocket, I made a mental note to call her back later.

"What's wrong?" He asks.

I held the papers up and he tilts his head to the side as he tries to figure out what it is. When he draws a blank, he steps closer to me before stopping a feet away.

"Where did you find that?"

"What's this?"

"You were going through my things?"

"Don't change the subject." I snapped and I immediately closed my eyes as I tried not to let my temper get the best of me. "What's the meaning of this?"

Chris snatches the papers from me before sitting on the bed and I brace the desk as he pinches the bridge of his nose.

"You're leaving." It wasn't a question, it was a statement and I watched as he sighed.