5

A/N

Okay, so I'll stop here for today.

I'll post again in a few days when I reach chapter 10.

I hope you guys enjoyed these few chapters so far.

Let me know your thoughts.

<~><~><~>

Chapter Five

"Chris!"

A half tipsy Alexis comes storming over to us and before I had a chance to react she pulls him from his trapped position between my arms.

"What the fuck is wrong with you?!" She accuses as she pushes him towards Trent. "Haven't he been through enough at your hands?"

"I didn't-"

"He has moved on!" She continues to scream. "He's finally happy and he is over you. Why do you find the need to ruin him over and over again?!"

"I-"

"You toxic piece of shit!"

"Alexis!" Trent shouts in a warning tone but she barely spares him a glance as she turns vengeful eyes upon me.

"Get the fuck outta here!" She continues, coming closer to me and pushes hard on my chest, causing me to hit the car. "Get in your car and go. Stop hurting him."

I look over at Chris and he's avoiding eye contact with me. Trent has his hand around him protectively and I wanted to roll my eyes at that. Trent, the guy who ghosted him for most of his final year was suddenly acting as though he got him.

I turned my focus back to Alexis who continued to hit on my chest and even though it hurt, nothing could hurt as much as Chris crying over me yet again.  I sighed before grabbing her hands to calm her down.

Trent was on his guard as he watches me and I mumble I'm sorry to Alexis as I get into my car. I knew she hated me just as much as Derek did. When Chris and I were together for those two years, she was all for us. We even got close and would joke around a lot. She was the sister I never had but always wanted and I warmed up to her so much that I loved her.

She held out hope even when I'd still do stupid shit and always listened to me when I went to her drunk and upset. That obviously changed when I kissed Danny and she had to make a choice after seeing her broken form of a friend.

Sighing, I slammed my fist against the wheel as I sped home. The decision to have fun tonight was slowly starting to be a bad one and I groaned out loud as all I wanted to do was get drunk.

Powering through, I parked my car and headed inside, stripping out of my clothes and heading into the shower as though routine. It took me a few minutes to stand under the shower and 10 minutes later, I was sitting on my bed, draped in my towel.

My fingers instinctively reached for my chain and the black ring attached to it and I sprang up as my neck was bare. Grabbing the clothes I had on, I flipped them as I tried and failed in finding the ring.

Cursing loudly, I sat back on the bed as I replayed the events of the night. The last thought of it being on me was when Chris played with it but Alexis pulled him from me and then I came home. I pulled on a pair of slacks and a hoodie before checking from my room to my car and inside of it but still came up empty. I was even tempted to drive back to the club but I knew it wouldn't be there. Thinking about it for a minute, I cursed below my breath before locking my door and heading back to the club.

I refused to lose the one thing that reminded me of my past relationship and although I knew it was over, I'd still hold on to that piece of us. When I got there, I retraced my steps, even going further than I parked and yet my search came up empty.

I kicked the wheel of my car frustrated before giving up and heading home. I was now angry and I swore to never again go clubbing.

Parking the car once more, I headed to my bed and stripped off my clothes. Sleep took many hours to come but when it did, visions of my past haunted me. Morning came too quickly and I groaned as I stared up at my ceiling.

The alarm clock showed a little after six and with sleep no longer coming, I forced myself to get up. A few hours later and I completed my morning run, did laundry, cleaned my house and made breakfast. Taking a quick shower, I grabbed my phone, keys and wallet before I headed out the house.

I knew Derek was pissed at me and made it very clear that our friendship was over but I refused to give up on him. He was my best friend and I would try again and again to fix what I broke.

It took me 20 minutes to get there and I cautiously rapped on the door. Seconds later Briana opened up and her warm smile greeted me before pulling me into a surprised hug.

"Hey! I'm so glad you came." She says as she releases me and steps back. "Derek's mom is here and we just finished making lunch."

I walk in with her, hands in pockets and heart in throat. Before my eyes could settle on the people in the house, I was attacked by a short beauty of a woman as she fiercely hugs me.

"Damon! Damon, my sweet baby. It's you!" Mrs. McPherson says and I stiffen as she held me.

"Hey Mrs. McPherson."

I tried to get her to release me because I knew that if I held on for too long, my perfectly built wall would come crumbling down. She still held on to me fiercely and I finally caved as I hugged her back, melting just a bit into the embrace.

Releasing me, I was struck on my arm as she wipes away stray tears. "Really? I don't see you for 2 years and all I got was small hellos on phone? I thought I raised you better." She argues and I step back as she look like she was about to hit me again.

"Sorry mum." I mumble as my eyes finally observed the other occupants in the room.

Danny was sitting close to Jon, both of them drinking beer and caught up in their own world. Derek is standing near the entrance to the kitchen as his girlfriend walks out and his cold, unforgiving eyes are trained on me.

"Hey, can we talk?" I ask cautiously.

"We have nothing to say to each other." He spat back and my heart falls a little.

"Derek! Don't be mean. Go talk to him." Mrs. McPherson scolds and I watch as he grinds his teeth.

"Mom-"

"Do not make me repeat myself."

Rolling his eyes, he grabs the half finished bottle of beer from his twin's hand just as Chris walks out the kitchen and I had no other choice but to follow an angry Derek as he walks out the house.