Thirty

"Jessica Huston."

Jessica and Danny stood and followed the nurse to the room.

After the nurse left, Jessica looked over at Danny.

"I'm going to cry today." She whispered.

"Jess.."

"They're either going to tell me I'm too old or they're going to say I still have time. Either way I'm going to cry."

"Either way we're going to start our family."

"I hope it's a boy." Jessica said, looking at her feet.

"I want a little girl."

"I don't want them to tell me I can't have a baby....it's going to crush my world." Jessica's breath caught in her throat.

Danny stood and hugged her.

The doctor finally arrived a few minutes later.

"Good morning Jessica."

"Good morning."

As she examined Jessica, Danny held her hand from the chair beside the table.

*

Jessica sat up when the doctor left and looked over sadly at Danny.

"Will you still love me when this is confirmed?"

"Of course, Jessica. Having a baby or not having a baby, I still love you."

"Really?" She sniffled, wiping her eyes.

"Absolutely."

Jessica hopped off the table and went to Danny.

"I'm scared."

"Honestly, me too." He wrapped her in his arms.

Jessica let out a sigh before getting redresssed.

After what felt like an eternity, there was a knock on the door and Jessica's doctor came back in.

"I'm backkk." She joked and shut the door.

She quickly scanned over the paperwork.

"Okay Jessica. My results here say you're in early stages of menopause. Now that doesn't necessarily mean you can't bare children. However, it does mean it will be harder and there will be risks. On top of that, one of your ovaries isn't doing so well and may need to be removed later on."

"Could I have a percentage of how likely I am? Could I try IVF.

"I'd give you 35% chance of conceiving and a 20% chance of carrying to term with both natural and IVF."

Jessica's heart shattered.

It felt like someone had taken her voice as she tried to respond. The doctor was speaking, but everything was so fuzzy. She'd mentally prepared for this moment, but no ones ever ready for that kind of news.