Thirty One

Jessica sat in the front yard, letting the wind hit her. She didn't want to discuss the surrogate idea, and she didn't want to talk about having a baby.

She wanted to sit there.

Danny broke her silence by walking behind her with a lemonade.

"Thirsty?"

"No." She sighed.

"You want to talk about it?"

"I'm mourning a person who was never even conceived Danny. I'm never going to carry our baby. I'm never going to have that waddle or wake up to our baby shifting.Someone else is going to feel our baby kicking. Someone else is going to bring our baby into this world."

"But our baby will be going home with us. We'll get to see our baby's firsts, we'll get to love our baby unconditionally. We'll get a baby. Our baby."

Jessica looked over at him and pouted.

"It won't be the same."

"We won't have a normal pregnancy, but at-least there will be a pregnancy."

"What if I don't want someone else to carry our baby?"

"Then we won't have a baby. I'm not pressuring you to have a baby, if you don't want a baby now, that's okay."

"Ugh why are you so understanding?"

Jessica started to cry again and Danny instantly pulled her to him and kissed the top of her head.

"I'm here Jess."

"I want to carry our baby so bad Danny."

"I know you do sweetheart, but I want you to be happy."

"I want a baby so bad."

"Then let's have one. We have another option to have OUR baby."

"Okay."

"Okay?"

"Mhm."

"We're going to have a baby Jess!" He kissed her and hugged her tighter.

"I know it's not the traditional way, but it'll be our way."

"Yeah." She nodded, a smile spreading across her face.

"You're going to be the best mommy."

"You think so?"

"I know so, you're already sacrificing things for him/her."

"I guess you're right."

"Mhm."