Chapter 21- What Was That?

Laurens POV:

When I woke up the next morning Daryl was cuddled up to my back and Alex was cuddled up to my chest. Both of them were still asleep, I could hear there soft snores. Waking up to this made me feel happy. Since I was little I wanted something like this but it never happened.

It almost did a couple of years ago. But that ended badly before it really even started. I don't even like to think about it. It just makes my stomach hurt thinking about it.

"Good morning!" I heard Daryl say in my ear.

I turned as much as I could to face him.

"Good morning Love."

"How did you sleep? Wait. Why is Alex in here?" he was whispering in my ear now.

"I slept fantastic. Thanks for asking. She had a rough night so I let her come in here."

"Oh. Is she okay or....?" he looked concerned.

"Yeah I think she'll be okay. Just a rough night." I smiled to myself.

"Okay. Well I thi-"

"Good Morning." I heard Alex say sleeply.

"Hey cupcake! How did you sleep?" I asked.

"Fine."

"Mornin' princess!" Daryl said to Alex.

"Mornin' da-Daryl." she stuttered out.

She just about called him dad. I found it adorable. They have gotten close over the past two or three weeks. We have all gotten closer.

"Well I don't know about you guys but I want to get out of bed." Daryl said

"Alright up! Up! Up! Let's get the day going!" I yelled

"Calm down Lauren!" Alex giggled

We all got out of bed and me and Daryl got changed. While Alex went to her room to get changed also. I put on jean shorts, combat boots, and an old band t-shirt. Daryl had on his usual clothes.

"What do we have to do today?" I asked

"I don't think anything except maybe a run or go on gaurd duty." he replied

~4 hours later~

The van was packed and we were getting ready to leave for a run to town. We were going to stop at a couple of places. Even though we had enough food and water to last month's we needed other things.

"Alright you guys be careful out there! Come back safe ya hear!" Lori said to us before we piled into the van.

Daryl was driving and I was in the passenger seat. Maggie and Glenn were in the two middle seats and Shane and Andrea were in the very back.

The drive was quiet and it only took us twenty minutes to get to town. We split up into groups of two and went our separate ways planning on meeting up in about two hours.

Me and Daryl had been walking for about five minutes when we heard a single gun shot. We both looked at each other.

"What was that!?" he asked

"I don't know but I want to find out."

"Okay we'll go check it out but if I start to think anything to bad is gonna happen we leave."

"Okay. Where did it come from though?"

"Sounded like it came from the daycare."

"Let's go."

We both took off running towards the daycare. Once we were there we stopped and Daryl banged on the door. We waited a couple of minutes before we opened the door.

We walked in and didn't see anything in the front room so we walked down the hall. The first and second rooms were empty. As we turned down the next hallway we heard crying. But not normal crying.

We walked up to the room we heard crying from and opened the door. But what was behind that was a sight that would be forever burned into my memory.

A/N- wow it's been a while! Sorry for making you guys wait so long it's just a lot has been going on. Hope you like it!!
**Please vote & comment**