Chapter 36

LYNN

The place was so quiet you could hear a pin drop. Officer Jack turned around to look at his boss.
"Hunt? Tell me she's not telling the truth."

Hunt didn't say a word. He gave Vixen and Kaitlynn an evil look. Then he suddenly pushed Jack out of the way and charged at the sisters.

People screamed as he grabbed Vixen by the throat and strangled her to the ground.

"I'm gonna kill you this time!" he screamed repeatedly.
"Do it!" Vixen yelled back at him. "Death doesn't scare me anymore!
At least this time I'll die with more respect than you ever will!"

Kaitlynn came to her sister's rescue and yanked Hunt off Vixen. She gave him a strong kick in the gut, and he fell to the ground in defeat.
"Just accept it," Rick, Katy said, breathless from all her effort, "You are no longer in control."

Hunt went ballistic after those words. He covered his ears with his hands and rolled all over the floor.
Everyone watched in awe.

Sylvan Valley's honourable police chief, turned into a psychotic lunatic in seconds.

Jack and some other officers came for him. They had to taser him just to put him in his handcuffs.
Some officers sent him away.

Officer Jack stayed behind.

"You," he pointed at Kaitlynn, "you are the girl from the first case I handled four years ago, he said. You are the girl who survived the Phantom after he attacked you at a party. "

"You knew she was alive?" the judge asked Jack.
"Yes your honour," Jack answered.
"Only her parents and some others knew. We feared that the Phantom would come after her again if he found out she was alive. So she went into hiding. We couldn't even tell her sisters that she wasn't dead."

Kaitlynn nodded and smiled. "You are the reason why I'm still alive, Jack. I'll forever be grateful for what you did."

Officer Jack smiled back at her. "I'm glad I did it," he said. "You grew up to be a great person."
He shook her hand and followed the rest of the officers outside.

The court got noisy again because everyone started talking at the same time.

After The Phantom was taken away, Erin and I ran over to our sisters.
The four of us pulled ourselves into a big hug.
"I missed you guys so much!" Erin cried. "I'm so happy you're not dead!"

"We're happy too," Vixen grinned.

Mom and Dad came over too. They were more happy to see Vixen of course.
"My little troublemaker," my dad teased her while rubbing his hand through her hair. My mom hugged Vixen and Katy, tears if joy streaming down her face.
"I am so proud of you," my mom sobbed.

The judge banged his gavel for silence again.
"Since everything is out of protocol," the judge said distastefully, "Members of the jury, have you come to another verdict?"
"Uh ...yes your honour," the jury's spokesman said.
"In the case of Dana Newman against Sylvan Valley, we find her not guilty of all charges."

The judge sighed.
"This is not how things should be done," he said, glaring at the Kents, "but since there is no evidence against Miss Dan - I mean ... the defendant, I therefore declare that she is free of all charges against her."
He banged his gavel on it, and it was final.

The court was finally adjourned. Vixen and Katy fist-bumped each other. Everyone filed out of the courtroom.

----------------

KAITLYNN

Outside, cameras and journalist were waiting.
They all wanted an interview with me and Vixen. They took so many shots of us and asked so many questions.