Chapter 38

KAITLYNN

It was Saturday morning, and we started getting ready for the party. We decorated the whole backyard with streamers and balloons.

The chefs were busy making lunch, and the sweet smell of great food filled the air.

My parents went around making sure everything was perfect. My sisters were so excited.

I was absolutely sure nothing could destroy the happiness.

————————————————

THE PHANTOM

I was in a police car, being driven off to the court for my trial.

I remembered the day I was arrested in the court.
I've never lost this much control since the day I was dragged into that mental facility and locked up more than thirty years ago.
Jack and his men tasered me and I was so weak I couldn't fight them off as they put me in handcuffs and took me away.

But now I felt much stronger. And I wasn't about to let this slide.

How dare they arrest me? A whole chief? I was in control of them, how can they turn on me like this?

As far as I know, I'm still chief of SVPD. So I am still in control.

I'm going to make these puny officers feel sorry. 

I knew almost all the officers in Sylvan Valley, and I knew the officer driving was a rookie.
Jack was sitting on my left and another officer on my right. My hands were cuffed in front instead of behind.
That would be a costly mistake.

I started a conversation with Jack as a diversion for the sinister plan I had in mind.

"Jack," I called him. He turned to me with an irritated look on his face. "What?" he asked rudely.
"My leg is itching, can you please scratch it?"
Jack glared at me. "Hell no, Ripley," he snarled.

I whined a little. Then I started thrashing my legs all over the place just to irritate them.

"Ugh, stop that you fool!" he barked at me, "Martin!"
The officer on my right responded. "Scratch his leg please, will you?"
Martin grumbled but he bent down to scratch my leg.

The second he bent down, I pinched a pressure point in his elbow. He passed out instantly.
I acted as if Martin was still awake scratching my itching leg.
"Yes Martin that's the spot," I pretended. "Hey, Jack what's that?" I said, pointing outside.

Jack turned to look out his window, and I pressed the same pressure point on his elbow. He also fainted.
The driver didn't notice it.

I pulled out the keys from Martin's pocket and opened the handcuffs.

Then I slowly leaned forward, and put the driver in a chokehold. The car swerved as the rookie lost control. He passed out too.
And that was my moment.
I jumped out of the moving car and into the surrounding bushes.

I watched as the car dipped into a huge pothole without stopping.
That made the car go flying in the air like a volleyball.

Then it crashed back on the ground with a hard and loud bang. It flipped over and over and came to a stop about thirty feet away. It landed on its side. 

And then, to my delight, the car bursts into flames, surely killing everyone inside.

————————————————

TRENT

I was on my way to the party when I saw the accident.
Firefighters and the police had gathered around a smothered car burning in the middle of the road.