Chapter 33

CALLA

I was angry. I was sad. I was happy. All my feelings were mixed up.

I was angry because thanks to the Phantom, I just lost a good friend. I was sad because Luke didn't even want to see me.

But I was still happy. Because our plan was working.
We were going to destroy the Phantom.

And it felt like all hope was lost. That was just how we wanted everyone to feel.

At some point in my life, I hated everything. I hated my parents, this town, my existence. But now things have changed. And I can finally get revenge for all the pain that I was put through.

It was going to be hard without Dana, but I knew I could do it. I've gotten this far, haven't I?

I just needed to get more evidence against Rick. I needed it to be so irrefutable that no one would be able to argue.

And I was just at his office, picking up one last piece of evidence that no one can debate.

The last phase if my revenge was finally about to begin.

————————————————

ERIN

Because of the severity of the case, Dana's trial was sped up. Soon after she was arrested, she was called for her first trial.

Dana pleaded guilty to all the charges. Everyone was shocked by her change of behavior. She had become so cold. Even her eyes lost the kind glow they used to have.

Finally, the day of the final hearing came. The judge wanted to hear my side of the story.

I didn't want to testify. I knew that Dana didn't do it, and she didn't deserve what was about to happen to her. She was good hearted, she saved me for heavens sake!
But I couldn't drop the charges against her either.

She warned me that night she began to take the blame for everything.

'Erin, the only person that can know I saved you is you. You can't tell anyone, not even the police. If the phantom finds out you did, he will come after you again, and this time he won't be so generous'.

If I opened my mouth, then all Dana's sacrifices would be in vain. And the last thing I wanted was that psycho to threaten my family.

So I had to swallow my sympathy for Dana and somehow manage to pull this off. It's better this way, I tried to convince myself.
Dana chose to take the blame, and the best I can do for her is respect her decision and do as she asked.

I felt awful that I was going to lie under oath.

"That's a crime, Erin," a good told voice me.
"So what, people lie under oath all the time," a bad voice shot back.

"I'm not committing a crime," I said out loud to myself. "I am telling a lie to protect the ones that I love. Protecting your loved ones isn't a crime."
"Exactly!" the bad voice stressed.
"I guess," the good voice sighed.

I shook my head. I was going to go crazy from all this worrying.

I got dressed and went downstairs.
My family was waiting there to go to the court.
After today's hearing we would finally be able to organise Vixen's funeral in peace.

————————————————

THE PHANTOM

I wore my favorite work suit. Today I was going to Dana's sentencing hearing.