Chapter 30

Luca's Pov:

Me and Jacob wait outside. He tries to crack jokes. He tries to make himself laugh to distract himself.

I listen to his jokes as he desperately makes jokes about some of the capital resident's clothes. Laughing at a few.

I remember when my dad died. My mom was pregnant due in just a few days. He was sick, very sick.

My mom told us boys to go into the room he was in. I was only 10.

Henry hadn't left his side since he had gotten sick. He had only been sick for two days.

We went in and Henry was sitting down leaning against the wall tears running down his face.

My mom made him come out and clean himself up. He was one of the only ones who completely grasped the facts that this was one of the last times he would see his dad.

Adrain was 8, Zach was 6, and Noah was 4. All my other brothers were older then me. We went in and my dad sat on the bed.

"Hey boys." He said his voice calm rough like it had always been.

We awkwardly sat around the bed. None of us liked seeing him like that.

"Luca how bout you play something on the piano for me." He said trying to distract us. He had never been one to think selfishly and even though he was nearing his death he tried to comfort us.

"What song?" I asked.

"How about our song?" He answered referring to the song he sang to us before we went to bed.

I started playing it. My dad just hummed along. Adrain sang the words under his breath.

La Linda manita

After the song was over he had me, Adrain, Zach, and Noah all sitting on the bed around him. My older brothers were all around his bed. Standing or sitting on chairs from the kitchen.

My mother outside the room giving him time with his sons.

"Okay niños. Your mom's gonna have a baby any day now. We both think we are gonna get a little girl. But I won't be there to take care of her. She is gonna need her big brothers to help take care of her. So you guys got to promise me that you'll take care of her. Teach her the things I taught you, because it isn't fair that you were taught it and she wasn't. So you guys have to take care of her and help her out, promise?" My dad said reminding us of our little sibling that will be coming any day now.

We all promised insisting that he would be able to teach her himself. He has always wanted a daughter. Although he was very happy with each of us.

Then my mom came in after a while. We all spent the night dancing and singing. My dad watched laughing when we tripped over out own feet.

I remember dancing then seeing Henry crying over my dad whose body was limp. My other older brother Caleb, saw this and whispered something to my mom.

She sees Henry and her eyes brim with tears. She had always been a strong woman and I could see trying to keep it together.

Caleb took all us kids out of the room and we went to the room we all shared. My brothers all just sat on their beds (which most of us shared) and looked dazed.

A week later my mom had her baby. It was a girl just like my dad had said. We all were excited to teach her everything we knew.

I promised to take care of her and I failed. It was up to me and I failed. She is probably already dead.

I can't bring myself to think about her dead. I should have just forced her to stay. Not let anyone take her.

She had always looked exactly like mom. Me and my brothers all looked almost exactly like dad with small differences.

But she acted like him the most. She had his personality with mom's face. And now she is gone.

Then I hear the flap of the tent open. A nurse comes out. I prepare for the worse.

💛💛💛💛💛💛💛

Kinda short but I wanted to do one with Luca's pov. I hope you likes it! I'll post the next part tomorrow!

Thanks for reading!