The choices we make

Lake held the gun in his hand staring at it. As if he was ready to use it he slowly exited the car. I slammed the door behind me and stood in front of the massive abandoned building. The building had a massive sign on the outside wall and it read "Omron Slaughterhouse". But of course, it was a slaughterhouse whether or not we were walking into a legit slaughterhouse that's what it was. Were we ready for what was coming next? Absolutely not.

With a gun in his hand lake felt invisible, the gun gave him a fake illusion that he was the predator this time and not the prey. Little did he know even an armed prey is still prey. As we approached the main door, which was a sliding barn door, I heard a squeaking noise come from the door. The door slowly started to open making noises similar to a garage door. I looked at Lake in terror and he made eyes at his gun like it was our sword and shield.

As we entered the slaughterhouse A wretched smell became noticeably worse. There were no lights on so I had my phone flashlight on. The first main room had a diagonal conveyer belt leading up to a huge boiler. Meat hooks hung down from the ceiling all over the place and the remnants of blood and guts stained the concrete. Suddenly a buzz emitted from all over the ceiling I looked up and as I did the lights flicked on and the power was restored to the facility.

When the light turned on I had a feeling that we were exposed. That we were hidden in the darkness and now were sticking out like sore thumbs. Lake drew his gun and through the loudspeaker, a voice came on

"Basement level, butcher room," the killer said laughing like this was a game to him.

Lake and I managed to advance past the first conveyer belt room and into the main hallway. The lights flickered off and once again we were left in the darkness. Back to back in the hallway Lake and I breathed heavily as we had just gotten out of a chase. I could feel my heart in my chest and I felt the adrenaline as we worked our way through the slaughterhouse. We got to the stairs and now had a choice to make... Down the stairs into the lion's den, exactly where the killer wanted us to, or look for a second way down the stairs for the element of surprise.

"Lake I think we should find a different way down to the basement, he wants us to come down this way" I whispered

"He wanted us to come here...and we did. We lost the element of surprise the minute we stepped foot in here," he said waving the gun around.

"I Have a bad feeling about this lake please just think about it" I pleaded

"I'm done thinking about this fucking psycho, it's time to make him pay" Lake replied anger in his voice.

Lake kicked the door to the stairs open and aimed his gun which was ready to fire. He walked down the steps slowly trying to soften the landing of his feet on the steps below. I watched the hallway behind us to make sure there were no surprises. I turned to Lake to go down the stairs when I heard the slightest noise from the hallway. I stood there thinking for a second trying to gather whatever I had left inside me. I turned to the doorway to the stairs and I pulled the doors shut fast, slamming them against each other.

The doors were solid wood, there were no windows for me to look through. Instead, I put my face against the ground and peeked through the slit under the door. Lake stood behind me aiming the gun at the door. I tried my best to search for the sign of life outside the door but it was just too dark. I pulled my phone from my pocket and switched on the flashlight. two black boots stood right outside the door facing the door like he knew they were gonna open for him.

Clank! a piece of wood broke up the door and the splinters fell around me. I looked down to avoid one of the splinters going into my eyes and when I looked back up there was a knife sticking through the door. Lake fired off two shots through the door, as the bullets collided with the door I saw the pair of feet shuffle to the left. Once more A knife went through the door creating an X in the door from the two open gashes.