Decent To Madness

When you are pushed to your maximum capacity of fear the human body responds in two ways... Fight or flight. Do you stick it out and roll with the punches hoping to grasp on to nearby safety, or do you try to run as fast as you can? Let me tell you what happens when you run. When you run from your fears...It follows you. When you fight your fears, you lose. When the amount of terror you've accumulated passed your capacity the human brain snaps. That's what happened to me in this place.

My room was all white, white brick, white concrete, white clothes, white beds. It was three days after Dr. Green shot and killed Vaun and our group was in lockdown. They sometimes slipped one plate of food through the hatch on the door but I always have it to Rhys. Not because wasn't hungry but because I was scared of him. 

When the lights went out at night the hallways sounded like a freak show. Screams of terror, laughing and loud bangs flooded the hallways as I attempted to sleep. It was about two in the morning on the third day after Vaun died that I decided to check the hallway out. It was worse then a freakshow, it was your worst nightmare. Everything in the hallway that night was mutilated, bloody, and monstrous.

I Sat up in my bed, frustrated that my mind wouldn't let me go to bed. My mind was racing...Or maybe it wasn't moving at all, it was too still to sleep. When your body goes into survival mode you cut out the unessential to make room for the skills you need to keep yourself alive. I guess right now there were more essential things than sleep. 

I took small steps over to Rhys in the pitch-black only the moonlight guiding me. The moon was a dim yellowish that night and fog had set in right above the ground. It was the perfect recipe for chaos. I nudged Rhys but he didn't respond I walked over to the door slowly. I looked out the little window on the door and saw a small dim red light blinking on the ceiling.

I tried the door, with little hopes of it actually opening. Strangely the door opened with little trouble. I stuck my head out of the room and checked both sides of my room for any activity. I heard screams in the distance and intense laughing from below me. I looked back as if I wanted Rhys to stop me from making. bad decision but he was fast asleep.

I stepped out into the hall with one foot. I took a deep breath and began to sneak down the hallway to the right. The red lights flickered above me, illuminating the hallway when they were on and covering the hall in darkness when it was off.  As I walked further into the darkness I rounded the first corner to the second hallway. Still no activity. 

I peeked through the windows of a few of the rooms but they were empty...odd for a place like this at this time. I continued down the hallway. I had a strange feeling I was being watched but it could've been just the fear of walking down a dark hallway in a mental institution. As the fear and terror begged me to turn around I traversed deeper into the belly of the beast, toward the center of the treatment facility.

The flashes seemed to be getting slower, the red lights were on for less time then they were off. Finally, after a couple of minutes of walking down the hallway, I saw someone. It was an older woman, maybe sixty, she had her hair pulled back into a ponytail and it was really puffy. The lights flickered on and I saw her painting something on the wall...the lights flicked off. I shuffled closer to her being careful to not make any noise. The lights flicked on and I saw the message she was writing.

In big red letters, the words We're all mad here lined the walls. The light flicked off and I began to take steps backward trying to get back around the corner before she saw me. The lights flicked on except the lady was facing me holding her arm out in front of her. I squinted at her and it revealed a terrible detail about the woman. She had slit her left wrist and she was digging the blood out of her wrist with her right hand to write the message.