A New Game

In my first couple of days in prison, I quickly picked up that I was in the middle of a new game, with new rules, and new consequences. in the hospital, the rules and consequences were laid out in front of me. The goal of the hospital was to get me better. The goal of prison was to survive. The consequence of losing the game in this scenario was death. I knew while I was in prison wouldn't see any more of the killer but at the same time, I knew I would have no problems to solve. 

When the police transport car arrived at the gates of the prison the driver flashed a badge and the massive metal doors powered up and slid out of the way. Even from the entrance, I could see inmates out in the yard in their jumpsuits, which were oddly enough...blue. Not the blue like the ocean but the type of blue that looks like it was accidentally mixed with green...like a mint but darker.

"Alright, son step out," The driver said to me as he swung my door open.

I wiggled over to the door and he grabbed my arm helping me out of the car.

"Can you take these off now, they are starting to hurt. It's not like I can run anywhere." I pleaded holding up my hands behind my back.

He rolled his eyes and grabbed my arm even harder pulling me into the building. The building was old and made out of a beige brick with a perfect slanted roof. The ceilings were high throughout the whole building and the floor was a constant gray throughout the entire building. when I arrived at the main desk I was asked to empty my pockets and hand over my belongings...and so...I did. Next, the guy behind the main desk handed me a pair of the nasty blue jumpsuit and waved me along.

Quick disclaimer, while I'm writing this story so many years later there are still some parts of the story from the prison I feel uncomfortable sharing. Some parts of the story I refuse to remember, whatever the case know that the prison story described is only half bad as it really was. In the hospital, the monsters I imagined in the hallways were figments of my imagination but here they were real. More real the sun or the moon. I was in an environmentn with people who were in prison for reason a whole lot worse than mine. I remember thinking on my first day in that the most important thing for me to do was find allies like it was an episode of Game Of Thrones.

Despite the jokes that's actually what I did. For a couple of days, I surveyed the food chain if you will. Seeing what kind of people no one interacted with and what kinds of people often had people following them. I knew from movies and T.V. shows that all prisons run on a social hierarchy. There's always a top dog, and then to be more dramatic they often have connections with the guards and get special privileges.

The first day I arrived at the prison was a dangerous one. I went through the screening process, got checked in, suited up, and then assigned to a room. As I walked down the hallways of my cage I saw inmate after inmate stopping and staring at me. Not like in the movies where they yell "Fresh meat!" and make sexual comments but in a sense that they were curious. I was young...nineteen years old and in prison for life, to them, I must have even seemed crazier than most. 

"Alright, here you are. Cellblock B" The guard pointed with his baton drawn.

The door to the room was sealed but I tugged on the handle and it opened. Inside a man sat on his bed picking his teeth. I walked in without saying anything and a towel and toiletries on the bed. I surveyed the cage...to no surprise it was small, it had a toilet, two bunk beds, and a little bit of floor space so that the inmates could practice religion or do yoga in their cells. 

The strange man was sitting on the top bunk unphased by my entrance and dangling his feet down to the bottom bunk. 

"That bunk is taken," He said finally breaking the silence.

"Ya...by me" I replied 

He dropped down from the bed drawing close to me

"You don't go ahead and get your ass beat on your first day here huh?" he said to me in a deep southern accent 

He looked like a man who had been through many wars his face weary and rundown by scarring. He had a scar that ran across his eyebrow that made him look even scarier.

"I was just kidding, I'll take whatever bunk you don't want" I replied scooping up my stuff.

"Hmmm," he said looking at both the beds for a second.

"I'll take both...I like to stack the mattress's" He said smiling at me 

" You can sleep right here," he said pointing to the ground.

I nodded and took a seat against the wall reminiscing about the days when I was in the hospital. The days which at the time felt like the very worst but they were not. These days were the worst when all I did for a whole day was sit in silence thinking. no interaction, no games, no team feeling. It was as if the entire prison was covered by a thick storm cloud and I was standing right in the middle of it. Darkness walked the hallways of the prison, and it didn't matter if people see it, it didn't try to hide its presence.

An unknown amount of time went by as I sat against that wall in thought. I imagined that I entered the prison somewhere around noon and I guess it was somewhere around six, which is also when the prison feeds the inmates. The noise of electricity sounded from the door and the small red light flicked to green. I didn't even bother to move as if I were to open the door bad news would flood in to crush me. So I waited a few minutes longer for my cellmate to leave so that I could follow him. 

As soon as he left the cell I got off the ground brushing off my butt and I followed him down the long deep hallway to a more open room where multiple tables lie with circle chairs surround the tables. I followed my roommate to the line and I got my food right behind him in line.

"Ham and potatoes?" the lunch lady asked as she slopped a scoop of corn onto my plate.

I nodded and he put some on my plate. I collected my drink and took a step toward the main hallway only to catch an elbow. The elbow swooped down and smacked my tray of food onto the ground, the tray slid across the ground spilling the food everywhere. The whole lunchroom went silent and everyone stared at me for a second and burst out into group laughter.

I smiled awkwardly and turned to see who the elbow belonged to. My cellmates stood staring at me less than a foot away.

"Find someone else to be your personal guide. I don't like to be followed," he said to me sternly walking to a seat and sitting down. 

I turned back to the line to get more food but I was rejected by the lunch lady and I decided to skip dinner that night. Instead, I walked back to the cell and sat on the ground against the wall once more. This time though I was praying which may not seem that odd to you until you see the bigger picture. What business does an atheist have praying to god? In a place where the currency was fear, I was going to need a lot more than my usual luck and wits to get me out of this. I was gonna need a miracle...or god.

It wouldn't be till my second week in prison until I met my killer once more. This time without the mask, his blades tucked away, but his words shot to kill. For the first time in the story, you will see a shift in the behavior of the killer. After all, I'm no fun to play with if I'm behind bars. The killer and I's goals had been lined up. Would I accept his help to get out of prison? Or will I stick to my moral high ground and refuse the possible help but keep my moral integrity. You'll soon discover that your moral integrity adds up to shit all if your dead. You'll see soon.

Chris Logged off