Fugitive

As I made my way through the cities away from my hometown the bodies continued to drop. When I left a city two bodies would be found. The news claimed that my serial killer body count had risen to about twelve since I had been on the road. I was considered an enemy of the country. 

I worried that when the day arrived when I was finally caught, the cops would shoot me on sight.  the worse thing about it is that no one would care. I'm not innocent...I know that. But did I deserve this? 

The day of my inevitable capture was just like any other day except it was a lot warmer now since the brutal winder had passed. April twenty-third...A day I'd never forget. My reckoning. The running and all the hiding added up to nothing. Let me tell you how it went. 

From my visit with Clarke in Lousiana, I was able to catch a train all the way to Savannah Georgia. I didn't know where I was heading but I knew I couldn't stop. The longer I stayed in each city the more people ended up dead, since the killer and I were traveling on foot it made it that much more difficult for the police to catch us. 

When I arrived in Savannah Georgia it was dead night. The streets were empty and the city lights buzzed. I jumped off the moving train and made my way through the city looking for food and water. It had been three days since I had eaten.

I made my way through the city streets in my ripped cold clothes until I got stopped in an alley by a cop whose routine policing turned to be the catch of the year.

"Hands up right now. You run you'll be in a whole different world of trouble" He yelled at me flashlight in my face.

I turned to him the flashlight blinding me.

"Oh, shit," he said fearfully.

He immediately picked up his radio and talked to the operator. I turned to my side...No doors. Looked around for a fence, or a sewer hole but nothing. no way out. I sat there with a gun aimed at my head for about six minutes before the backup arrived. 

They slammed my face against the hood of the car and cuffed me. The rain dripped down on my face and the lights from the flashlight blinded me from even seeing the cops. When they finally lowered me into the car I was able to see the three men who had arrested me. 

I sat in the back of the car watching the car's lights flicker from red to blue then red again. I never wanted to see those colors again. The three men stood outside the driver's side door standing in a circle talking, no doubt about the major fugitive they had just stumbled upon. 

Just to make my progress that much harder to cheer on I wanted you all to listen to the end of my fugitive run before I described to you the beginning. So as you watch as I accomplish one small victory I still lose the war. Its time to change the mindset, there are no winners here. 

No happy endings lie ahead, proceed with caution.

It was my second day on the run now oh so many years ago, I had finally gathered the courage to leave the concession stand head for warmer weather. it was a lonely road ahead but by now I was used to being alone. Well almost alone, at least I have you... The future readers of my life.

The first couple days of my lone ranger run from the cops were routine in the sense of urban evasion being routine. I made my way from building to building concealing my face under the dim light of the moon. The blizzard had slowed just enough to give me a window to leave the city. 

I fled into the neighboring country houses where big plots of land and trees covered the cop's lines of sight. I slept in a hunting blind, abandoned car, and then the next night is the real kicker. The first time and last time I ever had to stitch myself up.