=Prologue=

[A/N this is my first fanfiction so be nice]

11 years before the return of the avatar (you're 4 years old)

I was running back to my house to show my older brother the place I had found to learn earth bending. then I saw a man who was fixing a roof to one of the fishing stalls start to fall. without thinking I earth bent a the street behind him to catch him before hitting the ground.

then I felt a hand on my shoulder turn me around. it was one of the fire nation soldiers who were sent here to patrol our village. he looked at me evilly and said, " you know little girl. you're not allowed to do that." I was petrified. " but all show mercy since your so...young." I let out a breath. I didn't even realize I was holding it. " I'll let you say goodbye," 

the soldier brought me to my house when my mother saw me she ran to give a hug. she had noticed the tears running down my cheeks. then she looked up at the man and asked "what's going on?" her voice was shaky. 

"Ma'am, your daughter was caught earth bending. you and I both know the penalty." the soldier replied. 

"NO, NO SHE IS JUST A CHILD! PLEASE, I ALREADY LOST MY HUSBAND I CAN'T LOSE HER TOO!" she pleaded between sobs.

"It's the law." the man said. she dropped down to her knees. 

I ran to her she hugged me tightly then called to my brother. he ran in and said, "mom? what's going on?" then he sees the man. " no..." It was barely a whisper. hugged me too.

the man pulled me away. I looked at my family, tears blurring my vision "I'm so sorry."

two weeks later...

We made it to the fire nation. after I got off the boat I was brought to a man who looked wealthy.

He looked at me and said, "she'll do nicely for the princess." 

I hadn't said a word since I left my village. soon I was taken to the city Azulon and into the palace then brought to princess Azula. 

6 years later (you're 10 years old)

It's not easy working for princess Azula but there are a few perks... I get to wear nicer clothes then most of the staff (because Azula would refuse to be seen anywhere outside the palace if I didn't ), I also get to hang out with Ty Lee and Mai sometimes!   

When she is busy with firebending training I usually bring general Iroh tea. 

I knocked on the door to his chambers. "Come in!" I opened the door, " Ah y/n, how are you doing today?" he said with a smile.

I set the tea down on the table. Then I looked at him and bowed, "I'm doing well general Iroh. How are you?"  I said smiling back. 

"I'm doing just fine, even better now that you brought me tea," he said chuckling. "What kind did you bring today?"

"Jasmine," I replied 

" Hmm, you know that's prince Zuko's favorite kind." I blushed and looked down at my feet.  "you know I think he's around your age." he said with a wink. 

but I didn't even get to see Iroh anymore because he was busy trying to conquer Ba Sing Se. 

-----------------------------

A/N I know this is a very short chapter but it's just so you get some backstory.