=Chapter 17=

I stood on the deck of the ship in the fire nation clothes Azula made me put on. Watching the coast of the earth kingdom getting farther and farther away. I tear ran down my cheek. I heard footsteps behind me. I wiped the tear away. I felt a warm hand on my shoulder. I didn't have to look to know it was Zuko.

"Are you cold?" He asked. 

"No." That was a lie.

"You're lying." He pulled me closer. We both fell silent for a moment. "It's been so long, over three years since I was home. I wonder what's changed. I wonder how I've changed."

I put my hand on his face and traced his scar with my thumb. "It'll be ok, love," I was partially telling myself that. I stood on my tippy toes and kissed him. 

------------------------------         

We made it to the fire nation. Zuko and I were feeding the turtle ducks. 

Zuko pushed my hair behind my ear. "Thank you, Y/n. I know you liked being in the earth kingdom." I looked down at my hands. "I don't think I could have lasted here without you," He gently put his hand in mine. A shadow was cast over us. Causing the ducks to flee.

"You seem so downcast. Has Mai gotten to you two already?" Azula asked.

"I haven't seen Dad yet. I haven't seen him in three years, since I was banished." I could hear the worry in his voice. I squeezed his hand. 

"So what?" Azula asked. She really can't tell?

"So, I didn't capture the Avatar." He grumbled.

"Who cares? The Avatar is dead." She stated. A wave of hopelessness swept over my body. " unless you think he somehow miraculously survived."  What?

"No. There's no way he could have survived." Zuko said. 

"Well, then I'm sure you have nothing to worry about." She walked away. I looked up at Zuko who looked worried. Could Aang be alive?  

-----------------------------

Sat on my old bed holding the doll once given to me by Zuko. I remember how I could barely function at the sight of him. I was always blushing and stumbling over my words. I felt butterflies in my stomach his slightest touch. I still do. Something is off about him. He told me Iroh had stayed in Ba Sing Se. I know he likes it there but... Zuko and Iroh usually stay together. The doll looked just like toph. I wonder how she and the rest of the gang are doing without Aang?  I can't believe he's dead. The only hope left in the world died At the hands of Azula. Why am I even here?

I laid down still holding the doll. I started to sob silently. I heard a knock on the door. I didn't answer. I faced the wall. I prayed to the spirits it wasn't Azula

"Y/n?" It was Zuko's voice calling my name. I could hear him coming closer. Covered my face with my hands. He sat at the end of the bed. "I know you aren't asleep," 

"Please leave," My voice was shaky. Shit! He can totally tell I'm crying! 

"If you really want me to leave, I will," He put his hand on my thigh. "But I don't think you really do," I moved my hands and sat up. He pulled me onto his lap and hugged me closer to his chest. I put my head on his shoulder. I was still crying. He ran his fingers through my hair. He whispered, "I love you, Y/n,"

"I love you, Zuko," I whispered back. It's him. He's why I'm still here. I can't leave him.  

 --------------------------------

Zuko went to talk to his father for the first time. I paced around his room. Waiting for him to be done. I started to think about my own father.

 Is he still in prison? What about my brother? Does he hate? Do they miss me? Is mom ok? I tried to shake my thoughts away. Someday I'll find them. It will take months maybe even years. I don't even remember the name of my village. I stopped in my tracks.  

I heard Zuko's voice coming from the next room. "Why'd you do it?" There was a pause. "Why did you tell Father that I was the one who killed the Avatar?" 

What is he talking about?   

I heard a second voice but I couldn't make out what it was saying. Zuko spoke clearly.   

"It. Can't."

Pause. 

"But why?"

Pause.

"You're lying."

Pause. 

"You have another motive for doing this, I just haven't figured out what it is." 

After a bit, Zuko walked in. His face didn't give anything away.  

"Who did it go?" I fiddled with hands. 

"It went... well. He said he was proud of me." He didn't smile. "But it wasn't for the right reason. Azula told him that I was the one who killed the avatar," "

"Why would she do that?" I raised an eyebrow.

"She said it was because I was so worried but I don't believe her," He said. 

"Can I tell you a secret?" I asked him. He nodded. I cupped his face with my hand. "I'm glad you weren't the one who killed Aang. He was just a little kid." I tried not to show too much grief. 

Zuko's pov

She's trying not to show her sadness but her eyes are giving her away. Her warm hand still rested on my cheek. She's right he was only a child and My honor has been restored...How do I have her? I don't deserve her. She is kind, and, beautiful, and soft. I lied to her. I lied so she wouldn't leave me. I don't think I could go on living if she left. Without the sweet sound of her voice in my ear or her gentle touch on my skin. 

"Zuko?" She brought Me from my thoughts. I love hearing her say my name. "Tomorrow night meet me at sunset on the cliff in front of the palace." She removed her hand and walked out of the room. I wanted her to stay but she can't know I'm going to see my uncle.