The Ghost of You. (Hanji x Reader)

this song is about someones lover dying at war so expect this to be a very angsty story.
----

Breaking off a dry piece of bread, you sighed, dipping it into the butter paletted out before you. This was the first time you had eaten in days- maybe weeks, you didn't know. These times were hard.
Particularly your lover had gone away on a longer mission, no letters, no soliders. Nothing. The entire time you nonstop worried, only to cry at night.

You had been with Hanji for 3 years, now, but had been friends many years before. You both were deeply in love, in fact, planned to marry that fall. They knew fall was your favorite, and if not now- then never, right?
Queen Historia had tried to calm your nerves the best she could on days you'd visit the orphanage. The children were your favorite to play with, they made you feel less lonely and more loved. Their desperate eyes reminded you of the broken childhood you bared in your heart.

While life wasn't bad, it wasn't good either. You had been kept back from the mission, Hanji wouldn't let you leave. You faught, and plead, but even Levi forced you to stay.

Your steps could be heard throughout the castle all day, tapping periodically with worry. Other cadets- new recruits and such, all looked at you oddly.
Not minding, you continued everyday. The only thing keeping you calm was a mixture of the children, and playing piano in your empty hours.

Finally the day had come, the day of return for our soldiers. Many were fallen, that you knew, but only one person sustained their place in your mind.
When the horse hooves drew close, you knotted. Hanji please. Please be alive.
You raced down the steps and out to the carts and horses, there weren't many. Maybe one fourth of which that had left. Your eyes darted all over the place, trying to find their pale face amongst the bloody ones. Nothing.

You stood, shocked in horror, when Levi made his way meekly to you. His stance was much shorter than usual, lack of posture. His face was severely damaged, two fingers missing. He looks tired, awful.
"(Y/n), I'm so, so sorry," He began, softly. "There was nothing we could do."
Right then, right there, your heart shattered into a million pieces. Every fiber of your being ached in pain, desperately calling for a lovers touch you would never wield again.

Levi's arms wrapped around you, pulling you into a tight hug. He smelled of burned wood and blood. Your eyes darted all around, then softly closed, succumbing into his embrace.
He petted your hair softly, whispering that he understands. He couldn't have. No one could have.
Your tears spilled on every inch of his coat, snuggling into the friendly warmth you hadn't been offered before.

"L-Levi, your wounds..we have to.." You started, dragging him the direction of the infirmary. The last thing you wanted to feel was the pain you knew was building in a corner.
Hanji was your life, your love, every first thing you could have, they took. How had this happened? They promised.

These questions coursed through your mind while sitting Levi down softly, and grabbing medicine. You wanted to tend to his injuries. If Hanji knew he looked this way, they would have lost it. You knew that.
"You don't have to.." He spoke, pushing your kind hand from tending to his wounds. They were filthy. Nodding no, you parted your cracked, tear-soaked lips. "N-no, I do. If they saw you this way they would be fussing horribly." You began swabbing his face wounds, watching his eyebrows cock, clearly questioning your sanity.

You decided not to pay attention to his curiosity, removing his jacket. You cleaned every wound and re-bandaged it, him watching you diligently work with your soft hands. The truth was he indeed worried for you, he knew the love between you all was intense, and the fire had just been stomped in your heart.
"(Y/n), Hanji wanted me to tell you how much they love you, and were willing to sacrifice for you. They asked that you live happily with someone you trust, and make a family, just how you had wished." Levi spoke, looking out of the window. He was never good with sappy speeches.

You nod, "I will, for them. For us..and all of our lost comrades. For now, though, I'm finding in peace in taking care of my Hanji's best friend, so please, sit still." With a 'tch', for anyone caring about him, Levi sat upright and let you tend to the wounds.
Hanji's time had come, it was over. They were happy in the next life. You didn't blame them, though, only loved. Loved deeply, painfully, and unconditionally.
Today was the start of a new chapter in your life, one you had feared for weeks. You knew people would grieve with you, along as always, but deep down- Hanji was in a field doing crazy experiments while Erwin was laughing, watching.

This brought you peace.

----
damn
word count: 860