Chapter 17

CAMILLA'S P.O.V

I sighed, pulling my beanie down and crossing my arms as I waited for a red light so I could cross the street. It was so cold. I missed California. I mean, it was cool that I could see my breath and all, but what did that matter when I was too cold to move.

I finally crossed the street and walked inside where I, unfortunately, immediately ran into Jackson.

"Morning, sunshine," she joked. "Don't you look excited to be here?"

I rolled my eyes and stepped into the elevator, clicking the button. She started to make her way over and I clicked it again. "Close, close, close, close," I repeated quietly. She put her hand on the door and it slid open again, allowing her to step in. "Goddamnit!"

"You mean you're not thrilled to see me on this fine Friday morning?"

"Absolutely not."

She laughed. "What you got going on this weekend?"

"Well... it's Christmas so... I'm going home."

"Home?"

"I'm going back to California."

"Ooh." She nodded. "I will be enjoying my life to its fullest extent on my couch all weekend. So much fun."

"Well, I didn't ask but—hold on." I looked up at her, furrowing my eyebrows. "Your couch? You're not doing anything for Christmas or... whatever you may celebrate?"

She shook her head, laughing. "My family hates me and, you know... no friend gang."

"Oh," I replied quietly, not knowing how else to respond.

"Sorry. That made things weird. I don't mind it. It's peaceful."

I nodded.

"So, who's in California," she asked as we both stepped out of the elevator.

I laughed, shrugging. "Everybody. I mean, don't get me wrong. It's been nice seeing my dad again and meeting his wife and stuff—"

"And don't forget about me."

"Right. Sure. But I just miss being there, you know?"

"Yeah. I get it. Anyways, I gotta go this way so..." She pointed to the left.

"Mm-hm." I raised my eyebrows.

"'Kay, bye." She turned left and I kept walking straight until I got to Mr. Stone's office.

-

"Here." Jackson handed me a cup. I didn't really know what it was, but it was warm so I was appreciative. "It's hot chocolate. Want a ride home?"

I shook my head. She grabbed my shoulders and spun me around. "Look. You see the snow?"

"Yes."

"Isn't it pretty?"

"Yes."

"Look at this." She picked some up and put it on my forehead. "It's cold. Get in the car."