dude, the assister

We lived in suburban nothingness, maybe that's why I went crazy. Not just me, but Vinnie, Christian, and Evan. Which left us all wondering, why we were living in the richest town with the poorest hearts.

"Another score of points for Dickson High under the star quarterback Vinnie Hacker!"

Cheers erupted loudly in the stadium as the dirty blond haired teen threw his helmet off and smiled at the crowd. His hands waving up and he wanted more cheers. The crowd loved it, the parents loved it, the team loved it, except for the assisted passer.

She looked over at her coach who was now cheering with the defensive team. Unbuckling her helmet and looking over at her teammates, she ran over to the water station and felt the cold unfiltered water go down her throat. "Great pass." She looked up and saw her teammate beside her.

"Thank Jordan." As she looked back at the field she saw them still cheering. She felt a pain in her shoulder, a quick adjustment of her shoulder pads fixed it. "Good job with that interference. It really helped."

"Yeah, but clearly Vinnie's still the main star." He passed her the medium sized object compressed with a brown type leather and white stripes.
"Not surprising though, football only has one star and it's always the quarterback. Vinnie's used to it, you should get used to it too."

"Yeah I guess, but everyone knows that you should've been our quarterback. Vinnie's just the coach's favorite."

"Don't worry about it J, that's how it's been our entire lives." I looked over at Vinnie and saw the smile that spread on his face as he knew people were cheering his name. "It's been like this since we were five."

I tossed him the ball and he tossed it back with a smile, "Next year you're going to be one of the first girls to go play for a college team, bet."

"I hope so, I really do." The guys dabbed him up as he walked over to the water. "Thanks for the pass (Y/l/n)."

"Yeah, good catch Vin." I walked over to our coach and stood next to him. "Happy?"

"Very. It was a great pass kid."

"Thanks dad." I paused before I even asked him something that he was going to be mad about, "I want Vinnie's spot, I want to be our quarterback. I just think it's time for me to have my spot back." My face was serious and when he looked over at me, he was serious too.

"No, Vinnie's better."

"I was the quarterback first and then this tall guy with a good throw and fast running comes in and you replace me." He looked at me sternly and didn't say anything. "Vinnie's the perfect guy for you, huh?" I tossed him the ball, "You're just mad that a girl is better than your star player."