Book III|Chapter Fifty-Two

Chapter Fifty-Two : Meet my Father

     "I'm not trying to scare you," I say, biting the fry off and letting the greasy fried food savour on my mouth.

    Marco looks at me with an eyebrow raised, expectant and laid back at the same time. Well he's not gonna be that way when I say it.

    I nervously chuckle, fiddling with my fingers--which I always do when I'm in a bind. With one deep breath, I mustered the courage. "---but my father wants to meet you."

   Almost immediately, the slurpee he was sipping made him cough and lodged onto his throat. He frantically motions for some tissues and I immediately hand him, with him snatching it from the speed of light and coughing continuously.

   "Are you....alright?" I say warily, eyeing him in pure concern.

    He coughs one last time and darts me a glare. "You think?! You can't just say things like what when I'm drinking, imbecile!"

    "Sorry, okay?"

   He still has his lips pursed but eventually he gave in, crossing his arms in the process. "What did you father say anyway?"

     "Like I said, he wants to meet you."

   "You told him?" he looks at anywhere but me, scratching the nape of his neck. "---that you know...."

     "---I'm your boyfriend?"

Even if we've been together for almost two months, he still feels awkward saying that I'm he's my boyfriend and I don't mind. But I wish one day he can say that with pride. That yes, he's my boyfriend.

   Shaking off random thoughts, I shake my head. "I think he got the idea from you picking me up from school and going home too."

   "I see."

  "Yeah."

    This is awkward. I chuckle anxiously, scratching the back of my ears as I stare down at my tray of food. "You aren't mad at me?"

   He sighs. "No... It's just that it took me by surprise."

   I blink, forcing a smile. "Right. Well, I can tell my father that you know? Give you some time and stuff to be ready and things....ha ha."

    "No, it's alright," he replied not long after.

   I lift my head to meet him smiling faintly, rubbing the nape of his neck sheepishly as he slightly tilts his head. It's obvious that he doesn't want to. That he's scared and horrified, but he's trying to be alright for me.

    "You sure?" I ask him one last time. "---I mean, I can tell my father to stop being such a protec----"

   "Star," he says with conviction. "---I'm going. It would be rude if I won't introduce myself in front of your father."

   I smile, scooting close and wrapping my arms around him. He gets tensed at first but then reciprocates it, hugging me back. He nuzzles his chin on the blade of my shoulders. "Is your father scary?"

    I giggle. "He can be a goofball, but I'm not so sure when I introduce you as my boyfriend."

   "Should I be worried?" he says in concern.

    I close my eyes, indulging myself in his warmth and his cotton, lavender scent of a hoodie. "Maybe."

. . .

     "Marco," I chuckle, patting down some of his hair that swerved in all sorts of direction, making him looking like the bird's nest. "--you look like you're constipated."