─ chapter seventeen

Lunch time soon arrived and Mackenzie found herself lost trying to find her new friends' table

Lunch time soon arrived and Mackenzie found herself lost trying to find her new friends' table. She looked around for a moment before there was a tap on her shoulder.

"Kenzie! We were wondering where you were!" The cheerful voice of Autumn came from beside her. Before Kenzie could respond, Autumn grabbed her wrist and pulled her over to the table where everyone was sat. Ally, Cecilia, Cyrus, Greyson, Raelynn, Maddie, Jay, Ben, Mal, Elyse, Evie and Carlos were all there. It was the first time everyone had been together in a while.

"I found her!" Autumn exclaimed.

"Hi guys." Kenzie said with a small smile.

"Hey Kenz," Grey waved at the redhead, with the arm that wasn't around Rae's shoulders.

Elyse smiled and scooted over to open a space for her, squishing into Maddie who groaned but scooted into Jay. Rae had her head rested against Grey's shoulder.

"Hi Kenzie." She smiled.

"Hi." Maddie muttered in a grumble as Jay wrapped an arm around her.

"Hello fellow Wonderlandian." Cyrus greeted, his arm wrapped around Cecilia. Mal gave a wave as Kenzie sat down in the space Elyse had made, Autumn sitting back down next to Ally. Ally muttered a hi but seemed to be in a world of her own.

"Hey-lo," Ceci chirped.

"Hey Mackenzie," said Evie, looking up from her notebook to smile at the redhead before frowning and tilting her head to the side a little, looking down again. Meanwhile, Carlos was too busy sneaking a piece of food to Dude to give more than a brief wave.

"Hello Mackenzie. How are you settling in?" Ben asked, the usual broad smile gracing his lips.

"I'm fitting in just fine, thank you." Mackenzie responded with a small smile. Lunch continued with a few conversations between groups at the table until Ceci suddenly perked up, her face brightening.

"Guys! It's December! You know what that means?"

"Here we go again..." Maddie groaned.

"It's seventeen days until Christmas!" Autumn squealed, clapping excitedly. A look of confusion spread over Mackenzie's face, as well as Mal's eyebrows furrowing and Jay's expression also turned into confusion.

"Christmas?" Grey asked, his facial expression contorting in perplexion as Carlos straightened up in confusion and Evie looked up as well.

"What's that?"

"Wait... you don't know what Christmas is?" Raelynn questioned, looking at each of the VKs' confused faces.

"How can you not know what Christmas is?!" Autumn gasped.

"Well, for starters, you seem to be forgetting that we're from the Isle." Mal pointed out.

"I've never heard the word 'Christmas' before in my life. That sounds weirder than Wonderland talk to me." Kenzie muttered.