─ chapter twenty-three

"I cant believe no one wants to try the cupcakes I made

"I cant believe no one wants to try the cupcakes I made." Autumn whined, looking down at the tray of twelve cupcakes in front of her.

"You know, leaf, maybe it's because we're scared of your baking." Maddie said, resting her chin on her hand. She and Autumn sat on a picnic bench with Elyse.

"Last time we had something you baked I ended up missing the rest of the day because I couldn't stop throwing up, Autumn." Elyse sighed.

"But I tried this timeeee." Autumn whined, a soft pout on her lips as she let out a huff.

"You might get there eventually. Or you might poison someone first." Maddie shrugged.

"Try one yourself and we'll see." Elyse suggested, a playful smirk appearing on her lips. Autumn's eyes widened as she looked down at the cupcakes that were drowning in blue frosting.

"Ceci would try one for me if she was here." The redhead pouted, picking one up and looking at it intently. "But I'm more likely to be biased to my own baking!" She pointed out defensively. Maddie just tried to hold in a laugh.

"Somehow I doubt that's the reason why," Elyse chuckled. "Ceci would because she's way too nice."

"She has a point." Maddie agreed, nodding. Autumn huffed again and poked her tongue out, almost licking the icing before she was given a fright.

"Free cupcakes? Oh yeah." The voice of Jay came, he reached around and grabbed one from the tray.

"Jay, no no no wai-" Maddie stood up, however it was too late. Jay took a bite out of the cupcake and instantly his face scrunched up in disgust. However, he caught sight of Maddie and Elyse's glares and Autumn's nervous expression.

"Mmmm, great." He said, forcing himself to swallow before sitting down beside Maddie.

"See!" Autumn exclaimed, Maddie letting out a sigh.

"Uh, hey?" Jay said.

"You're such an idiot, Muscles." Maddie groaned.

"Whatever you say Autumn," Elyse muttered, shaking her head.

"Excuse me? Hello Miss Icy." Jay said, waving his hand in front of Elyse's face.

"Give it a rest Muscles, she'll ice you." Maddie sighed as she felt Jay's arm wrap around her shoulders.

"I will," Elyse said tiredly. "Not in the best of moods."

"When are you never?" Jay chuckled, however Maddie promptly kicked him under the table. "Ow." He whined. "Anyway, before I get iced or arrowed, where did the cupcakes come from?" He asked.

"I made them!" Autumn said enthusiastically.

"Right..." Jay nodded.

"Autumn, I think Jay wants another one," Elyse gasped, painting an innocent look on her face.