─ chapter twenty-eight

Mackenzie couldn't sleep

Mackenzie couldn't sleep. She had tossed and turned for what felt like hours and had counted sheep, brewed herself some chamomile tea, but nothing had helped. Her mind was just so awake, as she stared up at the ceiling her thought patterns kept leading her back to Elyse, and she couldn't comprehend why. Maybe it was the whole Secret Santa thing throwing her off.

Kenzie heaved a sigh and threw the covers back, sitting up and sliding off her bed. She walked over to her window in the darkness and gazed out of the window. It took a moment before her eyes widened as she realised what she was seeing in front of her. Snow.

The girl had never seen snow before, it looked so beautiful. The previously grassy ground covered in a white blanket as snowflakes continued to fall from the sky. In a bout of excitement and curiosity, Kenzie ran and grabbed her shoes- just pumps, completely unsuitable for snow- and snuck out of her room, jacketless and wearing nothing but her cupcake patterned, silk pyjamas, headed outside into the winter wonderland. Kenzie gasped at the coldness of the snow against her skin, crouching down as she cupped some of the white mystery in her hands, gasping again at the coldness as she pressed on it and moulded it into a shape, the snowflakes catching in her hair. It was truly remarkable. However, when she glanced up, she saw what looked like a figure standing amongst the trees. Kenzie furrowed her eyebrows, she couldn't quite make the shadow out in the night.

"Kenzie..." The voice spoke softly, but it wasn't comforting. It was... menacing. But she couldn't help feeling drawn to it. The curious redhead wandered in the snow for quite a while, following the sound of the voice and the shape of the shadow. Eventually, she began to truly feel the cold, shivering as her freezing hands rubbed her bare arms. Her teeth chattering as she shivered and shuffled back towards the dorm building, however it was out of sight. The snowfall had become a blizzard, it was too cold for Kenzie's body to handle.

"D-dad?" She spoke weakly, before her drowsiness began to take over as she fell to the ground, into a heap of biting cold snow.

"Kenzie?!" Came a much different voice from behind her. "Is that you?" The voice questioned as footsteps were heard. Kenzie didn't reply, her teeth chattering as her eyelids became heavy, the shadowy figure had disappeared.

"Oh my god," A female voice said, coming closer. "Kenzie..." She repeated, grabbing onto her shoulders. Kenzie was unresponsive at this point, her body freezing cold to the point where her lips were blue.

***

"Shit, shit, shit!" Elyse said, noticing Kenzie's body turning completely limp. "You crazy girl," She sighed. "I need to get you inside." The ice princess pulled Kenzie into a sitting position, making her lean onto her. Elyse moved one of Kenzie's arms around her neck and twisted her own body so the redhead was next to her rather than on top of her and the blonde wrapped her arm around Kenzie's waist. Slowly Elyse rose, gripping Kenzie's hand and waist tightly, pulling her up off the ground.