♦︎9♦︎

Two weeks passed and the sports festival was in action. The whole festival was going to be live on t.v so I was going to bring my best performance. I want to aim for the top and live up to people's expectations. I want to help the innocent, that's why...I want to be a hero. I was in the waiting room with everyone else, getting used to our P.E uniforms for the festival.

"Aww man. I was totally hoping I could wear my costume." Mina complained.

"At least everyone would be in uniforms. That keeps things fair, right?" Ojiro resolved Mina's complaint. Everyone agreed and we heard the door open. Iida walked into the room.

"Everyone put your game faces on! We're entering the arena soon!" Iida asserted. I felt my body build up anxiety and I tried my best to calm down.

"(y/n)." Todoroki called me.

"Hey Todoroki...what's up?" I asked him. Everyone turned their attention to us as if something was going to happen. He stared at me with cold eyes.

"From an objective standpoint I think it's fairly clear that I'm stronger than you," He claimed, I was taken back a little but I agreed, "I know you're going through a tough time right now but...just know that I will beat you."

My eyes widened in shock. Todoroki is...challenging me?! What the hell has gotten into him?

"Hey what's the big deal? Why are you suddenly picking a fight and right before we're getting started?" Kirishima asked Todoroki as he placed his hand on his shoulder.

"We're not here to be each other's friends. Don't forget that this isn't a team effort." Todoroki replied coldly as he walked away.

"Wait a sec Todoroki...I don't know what's going through your head or why you need to tell me that you'll beat me...and yeah...you're stronger and better than me. In fact you probably have more potential than anyone else in the hero course. That's why you got in so easily." I stated.

"(y/n) maybe you're being a little hard on yourself and us." Kirishima tried to comfort me.

"No! He's right, you guys. All the other courses...they're coming for us with everything they got," I took a deep breath, "We're all gonna have to fight to stand out...and I'll be aiming for the top too." I declared.

"Fine." Todoroki replied as he headed out.

As we all walked out to the arena we were greeted with applause. I didn't expect so many people to show up. As we came to a halt, Midnight was about to explain the activities.

"Um, someone should talk to Miss. Midnight about what she's wearing." Kirishima advised.

"Yeah that costume should come with a warning." Denki supported what Kirishima said. As I was listening to other people's conversations, Bakugou was giving the pledge. He walked up to the mic and he stayed quiet.

"I just wanna say...I'm gonna win."

What! That was it?! What the fuck is wrong with you, Bakugou?!

People began to boo him and told him to get off the stage.

"Why would you be so disrespectful?! You're representing us all!" Iida scolded Bakugou.

"Not my fault the rest of you are stepping stones to my victory." Bakugou bragged as he made his way down the stage. I glared at him as he passed me but he didn't make eye contact with me. Anyway, the first challenge was an obstacle course. We all began to go to our stations but Midnight called me out, saying I was standing with her while everyone else participated. Students stared at me as I slowly made my way to the teacher.

"Um Miss. Midnight...how come I can't participate?" I asked.

"Well there was an error with your records and school profile in the system. For some reason it won't allow anyone to add info on you. We also found out that your profile was sent to other people for some reason. You'll stay on the sidelines until we figure out why that's happening." Midnight concluded to me. I nodded and I watched the big screen.

Time skip cause I'm a lazy ass :)

After the obstacle and calvary battle were over Present Mic announced that we'll be taking a break before we continued. Man, kids at this school don't play around. Especially Todoroki and Bakugou. Speaking of Todoroki...he pulled me aside to talk to me in private. I stood in front of him and there was awkward silence.

"You brought me here...now what?" I suddenly spoke. He stayed silent, just staring at me.

"We should probably eat soon. The cafeteria is gonna be busy...don't you think?" I said. Todoroki still stayed quiet. He's all cold intimidation...way different than Bakugou's.

"Do you remember...the day of us going to the USJ and you asked me about my quirk?" He recalled. I nodded my head.

"I have a promise I made a long time ago...about my other ability" He added. Where was he getting at?

"My father is Endeavor, which would make you aware that he's the number two hero. My old man's ambitious and he aims for the top and he used his power to make a name for himself as a hero but he could never beat All might. He's still going at it, trying to pass him one way or another." Todoroki went on.

"Wait Todoroki...where are you getting at?"

"Have you ever heard of quirk marriages?" He avoided my question.

"They became a problem in the first few generations after super powers became widespread. There were those who went out with potential mates, solely with the intention of creating powerful children. Many people were forced into relationships. They were simply viewed as old fashioned arranged marriages. My father has not only a history of accomplishments but plenty of money to throw at his problems. He bought my mother's relatives to get his hands on her quirk and now he's raising me to surpass All might," He took a deep breath, "it's so annoying. I refuse to be a tool for that scumbag...and every memory of my mother, I only see her crying. I remember she called my left side unbearable before she poured boiling water on my face." He finished. I placed my hand over my mouth in shock. Todoroki...went through all of that...that's horrible!

"The reason I picked a fight with you was to show my old man what I was capable of doing without having to rely on his damn fire quirk. You see...I'm going to show him that I reject his power and take first place without using it." He finished saying. I looked down at my feet. His life is so different from mine and yet...we're aiming for the same thing. Todoroki began to walk away, not saying anything else.

"Wait Todoroki! Why...why did you tell me all of that? Why me of all people?" I asked him. He stopped walking, letting the wind flow through his hair. He turned around, looking at me over his shoulder.

"I trust you."