29.

(Turn on the media for an immersive reading experience.)

Close Hyein

Where are you?

11:47

Taehyung
I'm here.
seen

Taehyung turned off his phone as he walked forward into the park, looking around. He shielded his eyes from the sun. There were a few children running about and their laughter filled the air. It was melodious. So was the chirping of the birds. Spring had never felt so beautiful to him ever before.

Taehyung's eyes fell on the single figure sitting on one of the park benches watching the children with a certain air of carefreeness. He walked up to her. Leaning in towards her ear, he whispered.

"Hey!"

Hyein turned to look at him, momentarily startled, and then she relaxed when she saw that it was only him. "You are five minutes late, Mr.Kim."

Hyein stated, a matter of factly, and Taehyung frowned. "For god's sake Hyein, we are not even working. Do you really have to call me Mr.Kim?"

Hyein scrunched up her nose. Then she pursed her lips as she said, "Alright fine, Tae-Tae."

Taehyung paused.

If we were close, would you call me Tae-Tae? 

He smiled.

Taehyung brought forward the bouquet he was holding behind his back as he took a seat beside her. He smiled, his boxy grin, wide and bright. "Happy Birthday! I hope I am the first one to wish you today."

Hyein seemed momentarily surprised as she picked up the bouquet of red tulips. Turning it around in her hands, she observed them for a moment before she burst out laughing. Taehyung furrowed his eyebrows.

"Why? Don't you like it?"

Hyein shook her head. "No, it's not that." She smiled as she held the bouquet, her dimples playing at her cheeks adorably and Taehyung couldn't help but poke them with his fingers.

"Let go," Hyein warned and Taehyung shook his head. "I said get your filthy hands-"

"Cut the dramatics. I know you like it." He replied casually. Hyein only glared back in reply before she leaned back into her chair and stared up at the sky. It was cloudless and blue. The warm mid-day breeze flew making her hair dance with them and she softly asked, "You know, Oh Mansik...."

Taehyung turned towards her, "What about him? He's already in jail."

"I know, I just... Why did he do it?" Hyein wondered.

Taehyung turned towards the playground, his eyes watching the little kids playing about happily. "They said he did it for revenge against my father."

Hyein looked towards him, trying to figure out what he felt about it. It remained blank.

"He said he was scammed by our company. It left him bankrupt and his family left him soon after. Apparently, that's a lie because Mansik got fired because he was involved in a conspiracy against my father."

"I guess he wanted to kill all of us so that my father would know the pain of losing someone. He would experience the same pain he felt." Taehyung added, much like an afterthought.

Hyein smiled, voluntarily for the first time at him. "I am glad you are alive."

Taehyung's eyes found hers. "So am I."

"But were you really going to drink that poison? For what?"

Taehyung only replied, "What do you think?"

Hyein narrowed her eyes and Taehyung began, "I wasn't really going to drink. I was only buying time."

"For?"

"I saw you trying to untie the knot."

Hyein paused, mildly surprised and she asked, "And you trusted me?"

Taehyung nodded slowly, "Apparently, it wasn't the brightest idea."

"It was the best idea, Tae. There was no other way we could have both survived..." Hyein explained.

"I know..." Taehyung whispered back.

And they smiled as they gazed back at the children playing around in the playground. The warm breeze paid a visit again and it ruffled Taehyung's smooth dark and her long straight tresses and Hyein held up a hand to her head trying to keep the light, peach hat in its place.

She exhaled deeply, as she leaned back into her chair. "By the way..."

"Hmm?"

"My birthday was yesterday."

________________________________

The End.

𝐇𝐢𝐬 𝐑𝐨𝐲𝐚𝐥 𝐀𝐫𝐫𝐨𝐠𝐚𝐧𝐜𝐞

By

Swag Meow