sowon x jin

Sowon's POV

"fuck!" I swear under my breath. "why am i getting the wrong answer right before the test?!" 

I slam my head into my wooden desk, hoping to wake up my brain cells. I studied 5 hours everyday for the last two weeks for the math test today. According to older grades, it is infamously known for causing students' averages to plummet by 10%. As well, after this test, the tests become 10 times more complicated. shit. 

my parents' voices echo through my head. why are you not getting 100s?! I'm a doctor and your father is a lawyer, so why is you not the top of the class?  are you not embarrassed of seeing him always beat you? why-

the urge to curse at them and rip my math textbooks apart was unbearable. but of course, i suppressed it, by imagining  this scenario, or else my parents would've already disowned me. 

or maybe i missed my chance to finally be free from their nagging. 

i groan and proceed to hit my head on the desk repeatedly.

"looks like i'll be beating little miss second place this time," a girl comments from across the classroom, giggling with her stupid friends. "now you'll be competing with me, isn't that right, jin?"

this bitch is really asking me to punch her plastic face. 

someone even more infuriating than her is jin. the mr. number one of our grade. the one my parents wished was his son. the person i spent my whole life being compared to. 

he volunteers at a hospital 4 times a week for 3 hours, tutors the younger grades, plays the piano and violin, won international competitions, and has coded a nationally famous program. 

show off. 

even his visuals don't lack. 

i groan a second time before snapping out of my misery. ten minutes left before the test and i'm not about to waste those precious minutes crying about perfect jin. 

soon, the classroom door slides opens and the teacher walks to the front of the class, holding a thick pile of test papers. he starts distributing the papers while threatening us with the consequences if caught cheating. "our school takes the lack of academic integrity very seriously. you'll be suspended for a day, which is followed by a week of cleaning the school for one hour."

he goes on and on endlessly.

i roll my eyes. cheating is so easy to get away with. all you do is use your peripheral vision to look at the other people's test paper.

the test starts. the clock ticking with every second like a bomb timer. 

my eyes scan each question, widening at the fact that i don't know how to solve them. my hands start trembling, my vision goes blurry, and i feel tears escaping from the corner of my eyes. 

focus, sowon. take a deep breathe. you can't fail. your parents are gonna beat the shit out of you. 

still, my brain is empty except for my parent's criticizing words.

i use my peripheral vision to look at jin's test paper, who sits diagonally in front of me. 

got you, jin. 

i quickly copy his answers before he turns the test paper, who seems to be having trouble on a question. i smirk, satisfied that even mr. perfect can't be perfect this time around. 

of course i don't copy each answer identical to his. that is the key part in cheating without getting caught, but people tend to forget. stupid. 

the test ends, and the teacher collects it. "although i didn't catch anyone cheating, if i see anything suspicious in your answers, be prepared," he warns.