Undying (Texas x Lappland)

A/N: So when I first came up with the title for this one-shot I thought it would be 100% angst, but then I had another thought, and then another, and this happened. I think this version is better, but let me know what y'all think! Also, most of this is based around my own headcannon (plenty of which I go in depth in The Untold Story of Texas and Lappland) so if you want to see some more stories like this I recommend reading that.

*****

Up on the cliff the sunset was lovely. The waters below in the ocean reflected the golden hues, the baked in red glowing from all the algae within. There was something wonderful about the sound of crashing waves, the traveling smell of salty ocean air. Lappland let her legs swing over the edge. In the open air, they went up and down as she braced herself on the dirt with her arms. The little box in her lap was positioned perfectly, it's weight meant to be light was so heavy right now.

Hopefully not for much longer.

After weeks of planning she felt as ready as she ever would be for this.

Now it was just a matter of answer.

Yes? Or no?

In a make or break moment like this one the tensions were so high. Her clenched jaw made her teeth grit. Back and forth, the grinding was no good. She would've complained about the foolish habit if she was here to see it.

And she would be here soon.

Hopefully by then she wouldn't be so anxious.

The clouds drifted overhead, the wind ruffling her hair. Lappland let out a steady breath and rose. Another scent was in the wind. She knew it all too well, could sense her approach from a mile away in a place like this one. Very rarely did a wolf let their guard down, show vulnerability. At a time like this her throat might as well be exposed. This was the time, this was her chance. After so many mistakes, so many try agains, she wasn't about to screw it up.

"Lappland?"

Her head shot up. Getting to her feet carefully, Lappland withdrew from the cliff and turned to face her. Texas was a vision against the forest background behind her, bicolored eyes like an exotic plant amidst the walls of ivory. The vineyard miles below this rise was filled with friends and family, waiting for what would hopefully be good news. She wanted to offer it to them, give Croissant the go ahead to open the expensive wine, Exusiai permission to shoot her gun at the open sky, Sora the yes to sing, but this was all contingent on her answer.

"Texas."

"Emperor said you were waiting for me up here. May I ask why you left dinner early?"

Ah yes, dinner. That thing (read excuse) to visit this exclusive vineyard of Sora's long lost cousin in the first place. Texas had no idea the real reason they were here, but she would soon.

"I just needed some air," Lappland said offhandedly.

Texas raised an eyebrow. "Oh. And here I thought it had something to do with how nervous you've been acting all day."

Those arms of hers were crossed. It was one of the few instances when neither of them were armed with their weapons. Yith was getting them polished and repaired, raising complaint about all the grime her protractor hilt collected, and all the damage the tip of Texas's sword needed to have restored. A lot of effort on everyone's part getting them both to be weaponless, the winning argument being that even without swords they could still land the kill (an argument she had been much more enthused about compared to Texas, who shot Mostima a firm glare for saying it in the first place).

"Nervous. Me? I'm not nervous."

"Lappland, your hands are shaking," Texas said pointedly.

Of course she noticed.