Chapter 17 - ready

The weight of the loss hung heavy in the air the next day as things continued like normal. Each volleyball team member struggled to get back into routine as their dream of going to nationals was ripped from them. Their spirits were broken while their classmates continued as if nothing had happened. The third years were struggling with the realization they had to choose to either stay in the club and split their time or leave to focus solely on getting ready for life after school.

(F/n) rubbed the side of her head as she headed down the third-year corridor that depressing Monday morning break. The teen had been suffering from a headache majority of the morning and just wanted to lay down in a dark, quiet room. Releasing a sigh through her nose as she made her way towards the stairs, deciding if she suffered through the day, she would need chocolate. Arriving at the vending machine, she quickly inserted some money and choose two chocolate bars before heading back to her classroom.

Making her way back up the stairs to the third-year corridor, she slowed down as the voices of three third years could be heard from the landing between floors. Edging closer the emerald-eyed female could hear them discussing if they would be staying in the volleyball club until the spring tournament or retiring from the club. Standing at the bottom of the stairs, she leaned on the concrete partition, not wanting to be seen by the trio.

"Daichi! is that what you really want?" Sugawara's voice cut through the captain's negative thoughts. "I know being captain puts you in a position of responsibility, but I don't think you need to remove yourself entirely. If that was always your plan, I won't complain." Taking a breath before taking a step forward, "otherwise you should play it out the way you want too."

Taken back by the grey-haired male, "Suga..."

Letting out a huff before standing tall with his hands on his hips, "I'm staying on, just as I said I would! I'll only consider leaving if and when the younger members ask me to leave! With or without you two!"

(f/n) covered her mouth as Asahi nervously jumped in, "b-but I told you I was staying on yesterday! I'm not going to university anyway. If the younger members asked me to leave, I'd take it hard."

Daichi turned towards the open window biting his lip catching the other two's attention, "I... I still want to play too, you know!" Spinning on his heels to face them, "I still want to play with you both for as long as I can!"

His response had the other two smiling knowing their captain was going to stay on for as long as he could.

Noticing a presence next to her (f/n) jumped while covering her mouth to keep herself hidden as Shimizu had managed quietly appear next to her. Taking a few breaths to calm her nerves, offering the ebony-haired female a small wave and a nod.

"Hey," she whispered out.

"Hi," the other third-year replied. "what are you doing?"

Scratching the back of her neck, "just... um... just avoiding them."

Nodding her head in understanding, "give me five, and you can go up."

"What?" mumbling out as she watched the volleyball manager make her way up the stairs and begin to speak with the trio. It only took a moment, and they were following her up the stairs and down the other end of the third year corridor. Letting a breath of relief out as she headed up the stairs and into her own classroom where she could close her eyes for brief moment.

It wasn't long before the break way over, and class had begun again. The dark-haired teen struggled to pay attention to the maths lecture as her headache worsened, making her stomach turn uncomfortably.

A knock at the door stopping the class mid equation, the door slid open, and the career counsellor stepped in.

"Excuse me for disturbing your lesson," bowing at the teacher before continuing, "I just came to grab Miss Nishinoya for her meeting."