5

The next day, I woke up to the sound of the walls opening. I got up slightly and rubbed my sleepy eyes. I watched as the runners entered the maze...

The maze... I was so curious as to what it was like... I knew everyone said it was a dangerous place but I didn't care. I wanted to see it... I wanted to find a way out... I wanted...to be a runner.

A smile crept up on my lips, since I had finally realized what job I wanted to do in that place.

"Pft, what are you smiling about, ya creep?" Asked Chuck, who just woke up, amused.

"I want to be a runner" I declared proudly and Chuck nearly choked on his own breath. Minho- who happened to walk by and also hear me- stopped walking and laughed at what I said.

"What's so funny?" I asked annoyed at Minho

"No, nothing! It's just that...you see, no one ever wants to be a runner. So, you're either lying or just playing a bad joke"

"No! I want to! And besides, you are a runner too! Doesn't that mean that you also wanted to be one? I mean, If not, you would have just chosen another job" I said and he laughed bitterly at that.

"It wasn't a choice, Thomas" He said in a serious tone "They made me one because I was strong and fast. Not because I shucking wanted to.. Hell, you must be really stupid to want to go out there.."

"No. I'm not stupid. I'm... curious. Why can't anyone here get that..?" I mumbled and walked away towards the kitchen to get breakfast. I wasn't even hungry. I just wanted to get out of there.. Being laughed at at a decision you just made is not that nice..

I sat on the nearest table I found and grabbed something to eat. About two minutes later, I noticed Chuck sitting in the table next to me with some food himself. I sighed and he remained silent. Looks like even him could remain silent sometimes, after all...

"Hey, Thomas.." I heard Minho say as he sat in the chair across me. I rolled my eyes.

"C'mon.. I'm sorry. I didn't mean to offend you or whatever.." He said apologetically and I couldn't help a chuckle that came out by seeing Minho acting like that. He grinned "Anddd, If you do want to be a runner, I may just think about it, but don't say I didn't warn ya" he added and winked at me.

I smiled "...Thanks" but that smile soon faded away, when I saw Gally and Newt walking to get breakfast, while Gally was holding Newt's hand.