Chapter Seven

Louis' week had been crap. Harry was racing around his mind constantly and he couldn't suppress the guilty look on his face. Simon had pulled him aside in the middle of a meeting to remind him that he wasn't a teenager anymore and he needed to grow up. God, he hated that man. The others in the room offered sympathetic looks towards Louis as Simon demanded he forget about Harry entirely.

To top it off, he had received a text from Niall the previous morning explaining that he was round Harry's. He was reading the slips of paper from the jar Louis gave him for their one-year anniversary. He explained how broken Harry was without him, information that not only made Louis' heart ache more, but that also made him further blame himself for the upset he had caused. Niall had sent an attachment too, an image, that now posed proudly as Louis' lock screen.

Which brings us to Louis stood at his bathroom mirror, urgently trying to tame his wild hair whilst staring fondly at his photograph of Harry. Without warning, Liam's face appeared on his caller ID and Louis reluctantly picked up the phone. His voice sounded urgent and excited at the same time. He agreed to head over right away, hanging up and throwing a grey beanie over his hair before fetching his keys and starting the car.

...

The letter was addressed to Blue and lay in Liam's hand. "They replied." He was grinning wildly as he handed it over to Louis who shook his head aggressively.

"Can you read it? I don't think I can bring myself to." Louis' voice trailed off as he took a seat at the table.

"Course." Liam cleared his throat in preparation to read aloud as he ripped open the envelope and unfolded the enclosed paper.

Dear Blue,

I guess it's me. The girl at 28. I have a few things to say too, and just one question.

Just because he is a he doesn't mean that anything should change. We all have the right to love who we want to and the people who can't accept that are the ones unworthy of acceptance themselves. The way you describe how he makes you feel causes my heart to shatter, because I know that he would never want you to feel this way.

As much as each second shatters, and every finger is scarred, your heart is still beating. As long as your eyes still open in the morning and close with the waving goodbye of the sun, you will always be able to find another mirror. The one that you once saw years ago is shattered, but if you look at what's in its place, you will find yourself again.

When climbing a mountain, people often carry the misconception that you have to get to the top. That's not always the case. Sometimes the strength you need to let go and allow the rope to snap is greater than the strength you need to pull yourself up. You asked me if I thought he waited. My answer is yes. You also asked me if I thought he walked away from the top of the cliff. My answer is yes. I think he started at the top. Looking down towards you, he could see the bumps and rocks in your path. He knew that at some point it would all get too much and the only option you would have is to let go and fall.

It will kill him to see you fall all that way on your own, and it will scare you too. But he isn't just watching; he's waiting. He walked down the other side of the cliff and around the bottom edge. He's at the bottom, Blue. Fall, and you will fall to him. Risk everything by letting go, and just as you think there is nothing left, he will catch you. I promise.

The more you climb, the more you lose him. You can't fix the mirror, but you already own another. So, my question is as it stands.

Are you willing to risk everything and let go?

The girl at 28.

Louis sighed louder than he expected to, his face stained with droplets of water that were still pouring from his cheeks. He was ready for his plan. Now he had no excuse.

"So, what you gunna do?" Liam probed.

A teasing grin from the older boy's cheek formed with a quiet but certain "wait and see."