Chapter Five

Alex

Waking up to a knock at my bedroom door I knew it was Lorraine from the sound of her heart. Today it seemed different, anxious. I walked to the door to open it thinking I was going to apologize, and she would forgive me for last night. Wrong.

"She is here! Everyone is talking about it!" Lorraine said as she pushed passed me into my room. She started pacing back and forth acting like her normal frantic self.

"Well good evening to you too...wait, what?" I asked. I felt like my heart would beat out of my chest. What was I going to do? I thought to myself as I realized this was a perfect opportunity to prove to her that this would change nothing. Curse or no curse, reincarnated life or not. Why was I so nervous?

"Yeah! So, you can ride off into the sunset with your soul mate!" She said as she crossed her arms over her chest. She wasn't just upset or worried, she was jealous. It was kind of cute the way she was pouting.

Walking over to her I wrapped my arms around her to reassure her. "Good, this will show you that nothing will change. Her arrival just means the end of this curse and nothing more." I said, but I think I was trying to convince myself more than I was trying to convince her.

She didn't seem to be upset with me anymore, so I didn't want to continue talking about it. She might remember she's upset with me and scorn me. "Let me get ready and we will leave." I said as I bent down to kiss her forehead.

The truth was I was nervous. I wanted to believe that meeting her would show everyone including myself that our past didn't matter. That this would change nothing. In actuality I wasn't too sure that was the truth.

As we got to the school everyone was whispering and peeking at me. They didn't want me to know they were talking about me. Come on, I'm a vampire, I can hear everything. I thought to myself.

Thankfully, even though Lorraine knew what they were whispering she couldn't hear them. Katerina would be here today, or maybe she already was, and I was anxious. Anxious to prove to everyone including myself that her arrival meant nothing.

We walked to the top of the stairs and I grabbed Lorraine's hand. I looked around and didn't see her. I was thankful and relaxed a little. That was, until I heard my name. "Alessandro."

As I heard it I knew it was her. Not only the sound of her voice, her scent engulfed me and not to mention that no one calls me Alessandro, except my parents and the vampire council.

As soon as I heard it I looked at her. When her eyes met mine, I felt something I had never felt before. As vampires we have a biological condition beyond our control. We are all mated to one person in our entire existence.

Before I looked into those emerald eyes of hers I always just assumed it was mere love that I felt for her. She was my mate. It's probably why I have never felt love for any other girl. I never felt connected to anyone no matter how hard I tried...until now. This isn't possible. I thought to myself.

I couldn't look away from her. She looked slightly different than in my dreams and I didn't think she could be more beautiful. I was wrong. It was like time stopped and that is how I knew she was my mate.

As soon as I thought it I shook it from my mind. No. It can't be. As a prince, my sole duty is to marry and have vampire children to continue the Royal line. We are taught early in life about our duty to our species.

We Vortigens are the first of our kind and as such are the only vampires that can, both, have children naturally and turn humans. How could my mate be a witch though? I can see why my past self was attached to her as he was.