Chapter 12

Hinata hugged his crying friend as if he was keeping the monsters away.

He felt Nishinoya pull away and stare at him. No words were spoken.

There didn't need to be.

Hinata noticed how much emotion Noya’s eyes gave away. Someone should’ve looked harder, maybe things would’ve been different.

Nishinoya lifted his hand and touched Hinata’s face. He caressed his cheek and saw a tear fall from his eyes.

Hinata couldn’t help but cry. “I missed you,” Hinata said, smiling through his tears.

Noya wiped them away and kissed his forehead. Shoyo looked up at the gesture.

“Missed you” Nishinoya’s voice was quiet and it cracked but after three days of not talking, it was progress. “Sorry”.

“Why are you apologizing? You did nothing wrong” Hinata said. Noya looked down at his hands. “Is it because the team’s worried”? The libero nodded.

“It’s ok, maybe you should text them”? Hinata suggested.

“Tell them what”? Nishinoya said. The red head handed him his bag. “I don’t know, just say something”.

Noya reached in his bag and took his phone out and pushed it away from him. Hinata said nothing about it and watched Noya turn his phone on.

He saw a bunch of notifications and noticed Noya staring at the ones his mother left.

Hinata covered the phone. “Ignore those ones, focus on you friends”.

Nishinoya sighed and moved Hinata’s hand, clicking on the voicemail.

Tanaka (5) 
Sugawara(7) 
Narita(1)
Mom(1) 

He chose Tanaka’s name first.

“Hey bro, you coming to school today”? Next.

“Sugawara’s a little worried, you should call him back”. Next.

“Now I’m worried, why won’t you answer”? Next.

“The whole team’s affected by you not being here but I just want to know if you’re safe”.

Noya shook and pressed the last one.

“The team thinks Hinata’s affected the most, but... please call me back” there was a pause. “Please”.

Nishinoya turned the phone face down and covered his mouth with his hand, to keep from breaking down.

Tanaka sounded like he was on the verge of tears in the last one.

Noya moved closer to the boy on the bed next to him and took a deep breath that stuttered.

“We don’t have to listen to the other ones” Hinata figured that was enough for the night.

He took the phone from Nishinoya’s hand and put it back in his bag. “I’m going to go grab something” he told him and left.

Noya reached in his bag and pulled the razor out.

Do it, you caused your friends pain. You should pay with your blood”. The dark haired boy glanced at his wrists.

Maybe just one…

Noya heard Hinata coming back and put the sharp object back in the bag. “Here’s your jacket” he gave him the black jacket.

“We found it in the clubroom”. Noya looked at it and handed it back. “I suppose you don’t want it right now,” Hinata said and put it on the chair. “I shouldn’t keep you awake, you should sleep”.