Chapter 7

Afternoon practice came and Nishinoya still didn’t show up.

“Can someone please call Noya”! Daichi said, a little irritated. “I’ve been leaving him messages all day”! Tanaka told him.

“Here, I’ll call him” Narita grabbed his phone and dialed Noya’s number.

Straight(gay) to voicemail.

“Ok, let’s just calm down, there’s probably a reason he’s not here” Ennoshita said. “We’ll see if he comes tomorrow, we can’t panic the first years”. Everyone nodded in agreement.

“You know I’m right here”? Yamaguchi said from beside Suga. “You’re allowed to know,” Suga told him.

The door opened and Hinata walked into the locker room with the other two first years with shocked faces.

“What happened”? Sugawara asked.

“He got-” Kageyama couldn’t finish his sentence. “He got over an 85 on his assignment in english today,” Tsukishima said unbelievably.

“What”?! Suga turned to the red head. “Let me see”! Hinata passed him the paper. “I can’t believe it”! Daichi gawked.

“Good job, Hinata”! Kinoshita said. “It’s not a big deal,” Hinata whispered.

Yamaguchi narrowed his eyes.

Others overlook him, seeing Tsukishima instead but nothing goes overlooked by Yamaguchi. Hinata was off today. He was sure Hinata knew something about Nishinoya.

“Per Hinata’s request we’ll be doing receives” Daichi said as soon as they got to the gym. “Now without Nishinoya here, he can’t give us any tips on how to better our receives but we’ll try our best”.

“Right”! The team got split into two groups, one receiving and the others were spikers…

“Not like that Hinata”!
“You’re going to get hit in the face”!
“Switch sides”!

No, I want to receive”! Hinata mostly blocked out all the noise and comments about his form.

“It’ll benefit the team if you spike,” Suga told him. How many people have actually gotten his spikes?

Just Nishinoya”.

“Ok, I’m coming” He obliged.

The rest of the day went on and you could tell that everyone’s receives were even just a little bit better.

Using what they learned from Nekoma, most of the team could at least receive a serve.

“Great practice today, see you all tomorrow” Daichi said. Everyone cleaned up and left Suga and Daichi to… lock up.

“What was the sudden interest in receiving today”? Yamaguchi asked, siding up to Hinata. “Uh- no reason”! He answered.

“Hmm, ok” Yamaguchi picked up his bag and took Tskuishima’s hand to walk with him home.

“Hinata”. The future ace turned to Kageyama. “Yeah”?

“You- you did good today” he said like it was hard to compliment him. Hinata smirked. “Guess you can’t call me bad anymore”.

“Never said that, Dumbass” Kageyama scoffed and left the room with Hinata.

“What do you suppose Nishinoya missed practice for”? The taller boy asked.

Missed it cause he’s in pain”.

“I don’t know,” Hinata said, unlocking his bike. The setter shrugged. “He’ll probably come tomorrow”.